Social isolation and cognitive function in patients with schizophrenia: A two

5 Likes

I was quite socially isolated in the dozen years after my wife died. Especially between the years 2009- 2017. I don’t think it made much difference to the cognitive strengths & weaknesses I’ve had, from as far back as I can remember.

On the + side= verbal and numerical. A mixed bag = non-verbal. Pattern recognition= superior/very superior , mental rotation & 3x3 matrices= low average. EF, Nb organising and planning, far from a strength.

It’s said that EF more than IQ correlates best re school age academic achievement. That probably explains my significantly underachieving academically. Sometimes knowing things internally and getting it down on paper externally aren’t mutual bedfellows.

1 Like

ive been isolated for 13 years and i feel like i can hardly think anymore or talk

1 Like

What was the conclusion of this study?

Conclusion

This longitudinal study found that greater social isolation was related to poorer language abilities and delayed recall among inpatients with schizophrenia. Sex-stratified results revealed a longitudinal association between social isolation and global cognitive function, as well as domain-specific cognitive functions including language abilities and delayed recall, in male but not female inpatients. This study provides preliminary evidence for the longitudinal link between social isolation and…

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S092099642400135X?via%3Dihub

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks man.

Between 2005 -2017 cognition was OK, but there was a gradual increase in self neglect. What seemed to be the case on the forum was markedly different to how things were IRL.

1 Like

i dont buy that it doesnt effect the females. cause im female and after 13 can hardly speak. maybe more of the females in the study communicated more during isolation so didnt lose abilities the same.

Collectively not necessarily individually.

1 Like