Schizophrenia for 11 years, had my first visual hallucination yesterday

This is my first post as a new member to the forum. I have read a lot of posts but decided to become an active member. A brief bio of my experience with schizophrenia: I developed schizophrenia in my late teens up until my first hospitalization when I was 20. The type of schizophrenia I have is the delusional paranoia type. I also have schizo-affective disorder and depression. My symptoms for the past 11 years were all psychological and not visually or auditorily hallucination based, until last night. I was popping some popcorn in my microwave when I saw a dark figure peer out from my bedroom doorway and stare at me. When I looked at it, it disappeared and I screamed. I then became angry that this happened and yelled while charging into my bedroom to look around and do a reality check. My blood ran cold and I felt as I did when I was admitted to the psychiatric unit for the first time at age 20. Luckily I knew of some local hotlines that help people who are in crisis by offering peer supported listening, and I calmed myself by talking to someone. I also realized that I had not taken my medication for the morning or evening. I took the evening med but it was too late to take the morning one. I write this because from what I’ve researched most people who have visual or auditory hallucinations with their illness get them from the onset, and I wanted to see if anyone can relate to my experience of hallucinating 11 years into the illness. Thank you if you took the time to read this.

1 Like

I started off with visual hallucinations and auditory. I kept seeing my daughter as a dead body in the trunk of my car. I saw blood dripping through boards in a wooden ceiling. I finally realized someone was threatening my daughter. It was my evil ex who is demon possessed. Since 2007 he has been attacking me, threatening me and my loved ones. A real abusive A-hole! I will never speak to him again if I ever see his evil face, He is a rapist, murderer in my mind so I take that as a warning from guide to stay away from him forever. He is sick, controlling and abusive in all ways. He gave me break-up sex the night he left me for real in 2003. That was how he ended the relationship. I HATE HIM!!

I can’t help you. My sz started with voices when I was 15.

I had only auditory hallucinations from the time I was 14 until 26. Then I began getting visuals. Definitely report it to your doctor. It could be a sign that you’re developing a neurological condition, such as epilepsy. They ran a bunch of tests on me, but it turned out to just be schizophrenia 2.0.

It should be noted that many neurotypicals report seeing shadow people out of the corner of their eye from time to time. This is a perfectly normal brain glitch if it only happens occasionally and doesn’t interfere with your daily life.

Also, welcome! This site is a fantastic resource for folks like us!

Welcome to the forum @DireStraightsJacket :relaxed:

High Glutamate is implicated in hallucinations.

Things that may help:

Theanine(5 cups of tea will give enoug of this)
Zinc
P5P
Vitamin D

I haven’t had visual or auditory hallucinations and I don’t know the answer to your question but I wanted to say welcome to the forum. Maybe ask your pdoc if this is atypical.

Hey and welcome, awesome username, hope you stick around :slight_smile:

Very interesting…yes hallucinations (auditory are most common) typically are a major symptom that is looked for in order to give an sz diagnosis though I have definitely heard of cases where there were no hallucinations involved and diagnosis was based more on cognitive/negative symptoms.

I’m a weird case because I experienced vivid audio and visual hallucinations from as far back as I can remember, which then practically went away when I was around 8 or 9 save very rare occasions. I then began experiencing visual and tactile, but not audio hallucinations again when I hit 15. The tactile hallucinations decreased in intensity over time but the visual ones increased.

Dear lord my brain is strange.

I also realized that I had not taken my medication for the morning or evening. I took the evening med but it was too late to take the morning one.

I never heard voices and never hallucinated, BUT, when I was on a certain dose of seroquel that all changed.

Did everything return to normal once you restarted taking your meds?

1 Like

Thank you for replying. Yes, once I took my meds my blood in my body decreased in flushness and I began gaining a more grounded demeanor and the paranoia slowly went down to a normal level. I think there was a placebo effect on top of the active medicine contents.

2 Likes

The worst visual hallucinations I have had was a full figure young man walking to my door and he then disappeared when he got to the front door. He looked the same as a real person with full clothes on and normal human features. I also saw this man in the back of my house. He’s one of the people in my head and he became real.

I have also had a full visual where my whole vision was in a different location. And boxes where being thrown on me and I pushed them off with my arms

Welcoome! I see things. I see people and sometimes demons or Satan. It’s very scary. I take my medicine though and set alarms in hopes that it helps. Still trying to find the right meds for my issues though.