Schizoaffective - it is not sz with bipolar

So a few days ago I went to the pdoc. He said I don’t have schizophrenia. I took out a self help book about Bipolar. He said I should get my money back as I do not have bipolar. He told me I have schizoaffective and I can’t take antidepressants because I have manic tendencies. I always thought sz plus bp = sza

1 Like

I don’t get the difference though… can you explain it better? I’m sza and I have symptoms of sz and symptoms of bipolar… isn’t that sz+bp ?

No- schizoaffective is just any mood disorder plus schizophrenia. Could be mania without depression, depression and no mania, could be both poles.

3 Likes

Oh okay I get it now. Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

Whether it’s more or less severe it’s case contingent me thinks. Treat the symptoms not the diagnosis :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dunno some say it’s just some of the symptoms of schiz with mood disorder.

No, it’s scz criteria like usual and a mood disorder. Bipolar can include hallucinations and unusual thoughts, so can things like PTSD and temporal lobe epilepsy.

It’s distinctly schizophrenia plus mood disorder. If it were the other way around, mood disorder and any sort of schiz symptoms, everyone with a mood disorder would be schizoaffective.

2 Likes

Mortimer is right. If the DSM is followed, the mystery is often taken out of the diagnostic criteria. Problem is many “professionals” go by their own thoughts, not on what the DSM says, thereby creating confusion for patients.

1 Like

I have Sz… with a mood element. I don’t consider myself SZA due to the fact that I can slip into some deep negative symptoms…

I’m not depressed when I’m in the wax build-up… I’m just numb… flat… living very emotionless… no motivation and no real ability to react. I feel like Data from Star Trek…

NO emotion… and my batteries running down.

2 Likes

Yeah the deep negatives are the most troubling for me Id say. Just flat but not depressed

Pure thought disorder-Thought symptoms and mood symptoms- pure mood disorder.

A sizeable number of people will fall in the middle group with either the mood or thought symptoms usually dominating but not exclusively so.

The treatment for bipolar and schizoaffective bipolar type - often atypical antipsychotics or atypicals and mood stabilisers. I was diagnosed with schizoaffective mixed type and was on lithium by itself for 16 years.

The treatment for psychotic depression and schizoaffective depressed type- usually antidepressants and atypical antipsychotics .

3 Likes

Schizoaffective disorder is a stand alone diagnosis, according to the DSM.

It really is a combination illness of schizophrenia and a Mood disorder, like either depression or bipolar - its divided into 2 types, depressive and bipolar.

I was diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder, bipolar type by my last psychiatrist and therapist.

My current psychiatrist and therapist now think that I have most likely bipolar disorder, my psychiatrist is not 100 percent cetain of my diagnosis - Schizoaffective disorder is probably still on the table.

1 Like

I cannot take anti-depressants either. But my schizoaffective label was changed to bipolar with a new psychiatrist and he kept trying to put me on anti-depressants against my expressed input that I have bad reactions to SSRI’s.

3 Likes

I was also Diagnosed as Schizoaffective also I was Diagnosed with GAD and Bipolar and in my past I was Bulimic but that has passed I no longer have that issue.

1 Like