Roche provides update on the first two of six phase III studies of bitopertin in schizophrenia

http://www.roche.com/media/media_releases/med-cor-2014-01-21.htm

Roche provides update on the first two of six phase III studies of bitopertin in schizophrenia
Two phase III studies evaluating bitopertin for persistent, predominant negative symptoms of schizophrenia did not meet their primary endpoints; third study is ongoing
Three phase III studies evaluating bitopertin for sub-optimally controlled symptoms of schizophrenia are ongoing
Roche (SIX: RO, ROG; OTCQX: RHHBY) today announced that two phase III studies of its investigational medicine bitopertin (RG1678) in adults with persistent, predominant negative symptoms of schizophrenia failed to meet their primary endpoints, based on the negative symptoms factor score of the positive and negative symptom scale (PANSS). Negative symptoms include social withdrawal and lack of motivation.
In the studies, adding bitopertin to antipsychotic therapy did not significantly reduce negative symptoms at 24 weeks compared to placebo. Bitopertin was generally well tolerated and its overall safety profile was similar to that seen in the previously reported phase II trial (NN20372).
A third phase III study evaluating bitopertin for persistent, predominant negative symptoms of schizophrenia is ongoing. In addition, three phase III studies investigating bitopertin for sub-optimally controlled symptoms of schizophrenia are in progress. Sub-optimally controlled symptoms, such as hallucinations and delusions, are symptoms that do not resolve despite treatment with an antipsychotic.
“These results are disappointing for people with negative symptoms because more effective treatments are needed for these debilitating effects of schizophrenia,” said Sandra Horning, M.D., Chief Medical Officer and Head of Global Product Development at Roche. “We will await data from the remaining bitopertin studies in schizophrenia before deciding on next steps.”
Data from the studies will be submitted for presentation at upcoming medical meetings.
Neuroscience is a major focus of research and development at Roche. By advancing the understanding of the underlying biology, the company’s goal is to discover medicines for people with neurological and psychiatric conditions. Roche’s neuroscience clinical portfolio has 10 new molecular entities, including three in late-stage programmes in schizophrenia, multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer’s disease.

1 Like

■■■■■■■ news,this is very ■■■■■■■ hell,hope all dash…

You’re on this right now - aren’t you? And don’t you find it really helps you?

I always wonder about these. Obviously all medications help some people more than others - and I wonder if this just means on average it doesn’t seem to help everyone that well - but there are probably many people who find it very helpful.

No was trying to get on this but couldn’t,but I am now screening for evp-6124

1 Like

I think it was RG1678 that my worker looked into my son being a part of but he couldn’t because of being on Clozapine. Anyways she said that one of their clients was part of the study and it was working very well for him.

1 Like

:((((((( been following this for along time so bummed about this.