RESILIENCE: The Biology of Stress and the Science of Hope - Film Screening and Discussion

A good series of videos and information around how stress during early childhood can impact your life - and how to counter the stresses.

Background Video on Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) and their impact:

How childhood trauma affects health across a lifetime | Nadine Burke Harris

RESILIENCE: The Biology of Stress and the Science of Hope - Film Screening and Discussion

Related Videos:

ACE Study (Adverse Childhood Experiences Study)

And - an indepth presentation on this topic:

The Lifelong Effects of Adverse Childhood Experiences

Related Resources:

Resilience - the Movie

Paper Tigers - the movie

and the Adverse Childhood Experiences Study:

4 Likes

Hmph. I was doomed from age 5 onwards.

1 Like

Not doomed - 67% of the population has at least 1 “adverse childhood events” - they are common, but it does make things much more difficult, no question.

2 Likes

I kick doom’s butt on a weekly basis. It’s how I roll.

:blush:

1 Like

I have a hard time concentrating on videos and the first one was sort of stressful, so where’s the video that tells us how to overcome ACE’s?

@SzAdmin

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

@metime

1. Awareness
    A) You’re aware of how the adversity you faced in childhood may be impacting your life now, and the lives of those you love. Awareness must come before any change. It’s the catalyst.

2. Understand
    A) A realization that you faced great adversity as a child, and you did so without a brain that was fully formed, having no physical size or strength, no rights or freedoms, no money, very few life experiences to draw from, and only a partial education.

Thus when you face a challenge in adulthood you can remind yourself of the truth, that because of the adversity you faced in childhood, there is no obstacle you can’t overcome.

1. Sharing
    A) You must share–tell another person about your Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) because conversations with others helps change the meaning of the ACEs due to others who can often see the truth that you cannot see.

I hope this helps.

4 Likes

Love that title. Love this post, OP.

e(Y)e Had 2 to 3 Terrible Events Occur when e(Y)e was Young … ,

and it All Involved Animals … ,

e(Y)e Didn’t Hurt them , More so L(Y)Ke Wild Nonsense and a Car Hitting my Cat … ,

Oh and e(Y)e Got Bit (by) a Mouse After e(Y)e Swiped Him/Her Away from tha Wild Homeless Cat … ,

e(Y)e Was Trying to Save His (OR) Her Life from tha Cat … ,

Carayzee Animals Out there … ,

Oh and e(Y)e Seen (now correct me if i’m wrong) e(Y)e Seen a Bunny with a Worm in His Leg , e(Y)e Believe that is Called Myxomatosis , , ,

A Guy Was Trying to Pull tha Worm Out … ,

It Wasn’t Cool to See … ,

Some Other Events but thus isn’t About me … ,

Hopefully tha Films are Helpful … … …

I think that if you give someone a completely happy and contented childhood they will just end up not motivated to do anything. It’s about stress management not stress reduction, stress and pressure are necessary for motivation.

Thank you! I love this post, too! I’m watching the film screening and discussion right now! Having grown up in urban, high crime areas and becoming sz, this really resonates!

I remember my paranoia flaring up back when I was 13 and my friend from French class got shot in the jaw and survived, but was out of school for the rest of the semester. It’s never really let up due to my environment.

It’s good to know that there are ways to cope and heal! That hope is a skill that can be learned is a healing and motivating thing!

1 Like

I don’t think you can move from childhood to adulthood without stress and trauma, although hopefully it is managed better than my own childhood was. Could have done without the beatings and rape starting around age 5 and lasting up to my teens. Getting picked on because you don’t have the most stylish clothes is probably the right amount of stress in grade school. Over that … meh.

2 Likes

There are a bunch of good videos on Resilience - and how its impacted, below, from the

Harvard Center on the Developing Child.

You can watch the first one below - and then the series will continue to play:

How Resilience is Built:

InBrief: What is Resilience?

InBrief: The Science of Early Childhood Development

2 Likes