Reasons for clozapine discontinuation in patients with treatment-resistant schizophrenia

I knew a woman that had to discontinue clozapine after being on it for more than 20 yrs for medical reasons. Not sure what they were, but it was very sad to see her decline. She was an English professor before she retired and when I met her, she was having delusions that caused her to be inpatient at a state hospital. I hope her SZ got better and she found a different med after being treatment resistant.

1 Like

Terrible side effects. Had to get off that immediately.

I also had to come off clozapine for medical reasons. I have been told that I treatment resist sz. Now I have started over finding new med or combination of APS. It’s a slow process now I’m having a hard time with sz

How many meds are you resistant to? Sorry you’re having a hard time

1 Like

I believe it is around six. We are trying risperidone and later abilify. I have never tried abilify yet. Because of health issues most are to dangerous for me to take at a level to be able to work.

Oh, risperidone works really well especially for treating voices in low doses. The first year I was only on like 0.5-2mg tops. I was on it for three years. I became resistant to it though because I had friend’s tell me I was better off not on meds, and I listened to them. Before I listened, college started and I didn’t have the cognition, so that validated it even more. I didn’t realize how serious sz was at the time and I was only 18. This is off topic, but did you draw your profile pic?

Yes, I draw the photo. I try to do art work when I’m my focus and motivation is working good. I tried risperidone early on but back then I was being hospitalized several times they switched me to clozapine it worked the best even though I still had mild symptoms.

I really like it! The shadows are unbelievable! It really pops.