Questions to ask about going back to work

Do I want to go back to work? Do I want more money? Will more money affect my benefits? Do I need benefit counseling? Do I need the satisfaction of work from the perspective of offering me self esteem and a sense of purpose? Do I want to work part time instead of full time due to stress considerations?

Let me share my personal experience of going back to work after a long time of not working: After being on Haldol for 23 years and not having good results as far as being able to go back to work I switched to Abilify. I was able to go back to work 8 years later. Throughout those 23 years of Haldol I was getting benefits and I wasn’t sure at that point if I went back to work how much it would effect my benefits. Not until I started researching the effect of salary on my benefits and how much I could make. Eventaully, I went back to work full time and gave up my benefits to make more mopney…After getting in 40 quaters of work I took the retirement benefits and continued to work part time.

Going back to work?

2 Likes

My advice ----- get a job, before making any decision at all if you want to keep it, work for at least two weeks, starting work is always hard but you always get used to it
Pick something basic n easy
Work part time
Simple as doing exactly what yer boss tells you to do
Do it the best you can
And don’t complain about it
During interview process used semi formal language
Don’t look bad or smell bad
Act like you have opportunities and you are picking the best one
Dress nice, wear cologne, shower, be confident

IMO cleaning jobs are better than restaurants
Use common sense and you’ll be fine

4 Likes

I always figured if I’m teachable and can learn and I have a good attitude, then I can work. Been working pretty steadily since 1983. My dad told me 80% of working is having a good attitude.

3 Likes

That’s a good set of questions.

Yes going back to work does not make me reliable or dependent.

1 Like