Psychotic How?

I noticed that the key difference for me when I am psychotic is that usually new ideas come to me as “It could not not be this” while when I am psychotic they come to me as “It could be this”. Same for when I explore old concepts.
Clearly I’m talking about how they come to me at the emotional level, I don’t actually use double negation in speech except very rarely.

When I become psychotic the positive symptoms for me start before this subtle shift happens and until that shift happens I can generally handle them if I get enough sleep until they subside. Once the shift happens things start to go downhill from there, either quickly if I go manic or slowly if the detachment from reality happens gradually. I wonder if any of you has found something similar or dissimilar in their experience.

2 Likes

My psychiatrist once told me that there are schizophrenics who can know and detect when they are going to have a psychotic break and there are others who do not know. What you say they call “suspicious thoughts”

2 Likes

I feel I’ve got that ability these days. Considering my last few episodes i was able to have the insight that i was slipping and get help early. Doing this shortens the recovery period for me too. The sooner i get help i mean.
But yeah if it goes too long then i dont question my delusional thoughts at all. Kinda scary. It seems some random outlandish idea will pop into my insane mind and i will completely beleive it without qustion. Even if im presented with evidence of its absurdity by someone else.

I learned that if I can’t backtrack my thoughts over several hours something is wrong. Usually I can ask myself “why am I thinking this?” And connect it to something else I recently thought, or connect it to my memory. But if it’s just random thoughts that makes no sense, it’s a bad sign.

I’m psychotic 24/7. It’s just a question of severity.

1 Like

A tell tale sign for me other than noticing how psychotic I feel is the air starts to smell burnt. If I miss a dose of meds that’s one of my first signs. I walk outside and there’s a burnt smell. My last major psychotic break happened fast. I was sitting on my couch noticing the cars outside were affecting me in a certain way and I told myself my meds weren’t working. Spent a long time psychotic during that break.

1 Like