Psychiatry now admits it's been wrong

I think its good that this is out in the open! :slight_smile: I mean, there is no actual scientific evidence behind the chemical imbalance theory. My mom is doing better. I’m pretty sure there’s a propagandist agenda behind labeling those who are reaching out for help as having diseased brains, which they of course do not. Here’s a pill for our social dilemmas, send em home. We’re all pretty messed up these days. Social support and education helps many but a narrow perspective shades the lenses of those with power, and those without.

I fully believe that psychiatry should broaden it’s approach and that symptom control can overshadow things like social support. That should be about renovating the house of psychiatry not destroying it.
A problem for me is an overemphasis on controlling symptoms that might upset society whilst if you are quietly struggling with things that just affect you then you are often left to your own devices or told dismissively, as i was a decade back, that part of coping is accepting the level you’re at.
Positive symptoms are far more likely to have services engaging with you than negative/social ones although the latter tend to be significantly more debilitating

1 Like

i dont think that medication should be the first thing to give someone when they have any signs of depression i went to the doctors at 16 years old having heard voices and they straight away stuck me on seroxat which now has been proven harmful for teenage children. ive been on anti depressants sinse then and i am now 32. if they hadnt put me on them i dont know how id be with the anti psycotics i think they need to tell the person that if you decide to take this mkedication it could be very ubncomfortable to come off it phyciatrist like to say that when you withdraw from say seroquel it is you go into pyhcosis because that is your own un medicated self resturning not true. Even people without mental illness who have been on anti pyscotics get psycotic when they withdraw from them. i think it should be PERSONAL CHOICE i do not like people being forced to take them against theyre will.

1 Like

It’s not all wrong.
Most of us have learned that “one size” does NOT fit all.
As with everything in life,
you’re millage may vary.

1 Like

I have to agree that psych meds are not for everyone. For me, they work wonders. For others, not so much.

There has been mounting evidence that antipsychotics are not for everyone. So I think it’s time for change.

First of all, changing treatment protocols within the phychiatric clinical setting. Secondly with the judicial branch, to more appropriately define the necessity of Court Ordered Treatment. And finally, with governmental agencies, such as the Social Security Administration, who all but mandates that patients be medicated in order to receive disability benefits.

The evidence we’ve seen thus far, and that which is in the pipeline, points to a paradigm where change is necessary.

Hopefully, those changes are executed wisely and fairly to reflect our new knowledge and to help as many people as possible.

Great topic, by the way!

Blessings,

Anthony

1 Like

I am getting so fed up and frustrated. I am seriously considering not taking an antipsychotic anymore.
The side effects are destroying me - weight gain, high glucose/diabetes, fatigue, wosening negative symptoms,thyroid issues,lipid issues - high cholesterol and triglycerides, heart beat irregularities, the list goes on and on
But I dont know if I can afford to live with delusions, hallucinations and severe paranoia and mood shifts -
Man this is so ■■■■■■■ frustrating!