Poll: How many pay for their meds/healthcare out of pocket? If so, much do you spend?

“Yup. This is why I’m no longer on Invega. The generic shot is still over $1000 per month.”

Which shot might that be? I’d heard there aren’t generics available other than Invega Sustenna. Thanks!

On the pension I get a month script and meds cost me around $6.80 per script. If I was working I’d be paying $40 or so as the meds are covered by the PBS which basically funds most of the cost. My shrink is free. He just bulk billls the government so no out of pocket expenses besides the meds.

The generic of Invega is called paliperidone. The long lasting generic injection is over $1000 per month. I just started haloperidol decanoate which is the long lasting generic for Haldol. It’s about $40/month.

So they don’t normally bill for the cost of shrinks apart from meds in Australia?

So only $350 per month? Wish I had it that good … unfortunately, that only covers the costs of my areas policy premiums, and nothing more. Sad.

1 Like

Yeah i have no idea how people would afford more than 350 a month on disability. Would be tough.

To explain how it works here :

There are psychiatrists (or other kinds of doctors) who are said to be in sector 1. Sector 1 means that almost everything is covered by the health insurance.
There are other doctors who are said to be in sector 2, and those can charge the rates they decide (so it is not reimbursed, only the “social security” cost is reimbursed).
The vast majority of doctors are in sector 1.

As far as meds are concerned, they are all reimbursed for all illnesses (at the pharmacy, there is a small charge of 1 or 2 €.) but I think that some doctors do everything they can not to prescribe molecules like Invega to save money for the health insurance.
For example, I’m not sure my shrink would agree to prescribe me xeplion or trevicta. Let’s just say that I can always ask for it by insisting.
The French system is not bad, but there are inevitably things to criticize, especially because we’ve been going backwards for 10 or 20 years (I’m talking about all the social benefits).

1 Like

I pay AUD$40 for my AP and AUD$80 for my AD per month.

I’m on a disability pension. I get scripts for $7 a month roughly. Psych is free for me.

I got bills for around $200k after my involuntary hospitalization. With insurance that went down to maybe $15k. (Not that insurance paid $185k; for some reason the initial price is just absurd and then insurance pays a fraction of it.) With financial assistance that went down to around $3k that I am still contesting now. And I consider myself extremely lucky (to have insurance and also to have met the threshold for financial assistance). Welcome to the U.S. healthcare system …

Zero for now. 。°。°。°。°。°

I pay 12€ for a box of Invega pills and 1€ for a box of clozapine. Don’t remember what I pay for Wellbutrin but it’s not much.

Mine are luckily all covered by state insurance. I’m on generic of all 4 meds.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.