Opinions Please

I haven’t dealt with schizophrenia often, and it has been quite a while, so I like some help in identifying it as well as just getting my husband to go in for treatment.
A little over a year ago, my husband was diagnosed bipolar. It was a gradual change in his personality, but I noticed. Now, his personality has changed again. He doesn’t really speak to me, he plays on his video game almost every waking moment, and shows little emotion. He gets irritated with me and our 3 children faster than you can say ‘schizophrenia,’ and he leaves us (me) and comes back every couple of weeks. He claims that he cannot handle me, when he is the one creating problems and starting fights. He refuses to accept that he is bipolar anymore, but he once did, and he won’t take medication or attend counseling. How can I know for sure what is affecting him and how can I get him to get help?

1 Like

Plz visit family forum…

I only posted in here to get the opinions of people who have been diagnosed so I can see it from both sides. The best way for me to understand is for me to hear from a schizophrenic’s point of view.

3 Likes
  1. Seeks relationship advice
  2. Asks psychotic and/or heavily sedated strangers for help
  3. Finds answers with introspection
4 Likes

Very amusing. I’m sure you find yourselves hilarious.

1 Like

I guess my husband is psychotic as he tends to make remarks such as yours. Thanks for your help.

It sounds to me that he is entering the episode which to me looks like depressive, but only pdoc would know.
I don’t know how to help you but I surely know how it is like to deal with psychotic person. Unless you can get him into hospital involuntarily or speak to him to visit psychiatrist I don’t know what else you can do. yes it can happen that the person only gets one episode in life but those are persons who are rather recovered and medicated…because it just doesn’t go by itself. I know it hurts to see your loved one like a stranger in your house.
Wish you luck whatever you decide to do. I would try everything to put him in hospital because things seem to go that way.

@bsimpson1990, I’d like to encourage you to join our forum for Family and Caregivers that can be found at:

While this is a peer support forum for people with schizophrenia and other closely related psychotic disorders, the Family forum is specifically for people like yourself, who have a loved one they are concerned about.

Also, please let your loved one know about this forum as they may find it helpful.

Best of luck,

Rhubot
Volunteer Moderator

3 Likes

Szadmin’s post in family forum for those seeking help in detecting early onset of sz/psychosis/bipolar

1 Like

I have bipolar disorder and I can’t even relate to that type of behavior. No one is a carbon copy of the other with any one of these illnesses. We would have to know your husbands whole story which would take up entirely to much of my time and I’m not getting paid enough to do this job.
But seriously. He needs to be on meds, meds suck. There is no happy medium no compromise. If you have an illness like this it just plain sucks.
Your husband (and you) should thank your lucky stars that he isn’t psychotic.
When he starts looking under the floorboards for the ark of the covenant, check back with me I’ll give you some advice. In the meantime it sounds like a whole lotta baby momma drama coming from you two.

1 Like

Show us some respect, little lady.

@bsimpson1990, I suggest you take @Rhubot’s advice and head over to the family forum. We have sadly found out through experience that the two forums need to be kept separate in order to keep things civil. You should find plenty of support and advice from the other family members who have gone through what you’re going through now.

2 Likes

These kinds of remarks are precisely why the Family and Caregivers Forum and this Diagnosed Forum are separate forums. Most people are respectful when they venture onto the other forum and vice versa, but not always. When asking for help, you might get better results by checking the attitude at the door.
—Mod-beam

10 Likes