New Study: Early Childhood Stress Directly Impacts Neurodevelopment and Mental Health of Child

Stress system activity in early life can have long-term effects on neurodevelopment. A dysregulated stress system (i.e. hypo- or hyper-reactive stress responses, or high/low basal activity levels) can be maladaptive for the developing nervous system and may disrupt its architecture and function, especially during the early stages of brain development

The main aim of this study was to assess the association of child evening salivary cortisol and alpha-amylase basal levels at 14 months of age with longer-term neuropsychological development at 4years in a low-risk population-based birth cohort derived from the INMA (Environment and Childhood) project in Spain.

We included 186 parent-children pairs with information on both stress system activity and neurodevelopment.

Both stress markers at 14 months of age showed an association with neuropsychological development at 4years.

Salivary cortisol showed a sex-specific pattern of association. In girls, cortisol levels at 14 months were negatively associated with cognitive development [long-term declarative memory; executive function and gross motor development, whereas in boys cortisol levels were negatively associated with socioemotional development [autistic-like behaviours.

Salivary alpha-amylase was positively associated with socioemotional development in boys only [social competence, autistic-like behaviours and hyperactivity symptoms.

FULL RESEARCH PAPER HERE:

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com.sci-hub.cc/retrieve/pii/S0018506X16304251

SUMMARY HERE:

2 Likes

My childhood was never a good one…so at the age 18 i got my first psychotic break…

My older brothers used to prank me. They would pee in an empty bottle of Mountain Dew, then ask me if I wanted a sip!

Does this count as childhood trauma? :wink:

1 Like

Yes its a kind of humiliation…thats counts as a stress…

Patrick Patrick… with you, one never know what is truth and what is children stories…

As an aside, I was never bullied as a child. I did the bullying to my parents though. I would spread my snots on a loaf of bread. Imagine their reaction…