New here... wrote a book

Hello my name is Richard. I live in Mississippi. I am 54 and a recovering schizophrenic. I have been writing since I started a blog in 2012. I have wrote a book and I found someone to self publish it…Mainly its talks about my breakdowns and spiritual recovery through deliverance. My hopes is that it doesn’t confuse people, I consider myself a Christian, but it has not been a bed of roses, since Ive had 3 mental breakdowns since I was 18 years old. I guess my main anxiety about publishing the book is if they take me off of ssd. See I have been on it since 2002. MY book is only 50 pages long. But the fact remains that I am nervous about having to attempt to go back to work if they cut my check. I am hoping to get some encouragement and consolation here as well as support on my book venture…

Thanks and God Bless,
Richard

5 Likes

It is always very difficult to talk about our past breaks. To open all those wounds could be opening a can of worms. I have deleted al my memoirs except for one piece that I posted somewhere on the forum.

Congratulations on your book and welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

I know what you mean Fellowman. It can be very daunting to talk about the past. It is something I did in my book and I did find writing to be very therapeutic for me. My mind has rehearsed some scenarios of past breaks trying to make reason of it all. Trying to understand the truth behind the hallucinations. I dont know what happened but one day I just stopped trying to reason it out. I wish you well Fellowman and hope the best for you too.

rchard54

1 Like

Thanks Loke. Good to meet you. i hope I can make more friends here.

You’ll make friends here. The ppl on this forum care.

2 Likes

You must have sold your book for a good amount if they are taking you off of SSDI and at only 50 pages. Congratulations!

I am in Louisiana so howdy neighbor. Welcome to the forum.

it should be on sell on amazon and kindle the week of Easter if all goes well. The guy who is helping me publish the book is saying to sell it for 8.99 and the ebook for 1.99. thats 4 dollars in royalties if i am figuring right. we will see what happens,I dont know im just going to leave it in the good Lord’s hands and try not to be so nervous about it.

Thanks TomCat.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! That’s really cool that you wrote a book. That’s another achievement I can say I haven’t gotten yet in life!

i dont think i could write a book, i haven’t got the patience lol

well done for writing a book and good luck with it too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess you could say its my first actual acheivement, besides surviving through high school…its still a shock i made it there. I guess the hard part is what is happening now in publicating the book…

1 Like

Like my dad used to say…“don’t count your chickens until they are hatched” I also self published my book and had fears that my check would be cut because my book was going to be “so famous”…fact is…it is hard to get sales on a book that is self published…I hope your book is successful…I just don’t think you have anything to worry about…I made twenty dollars in royalties last year. sigh

Welcome to the forum @rchard54! :slight_smile:

Hi Richard! Welcome to the forum. It’s really great here. You will find a lot of support and acceptance. That’s great that you wrote a book! Sounds really interesting.

Welcome home @rchard54! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Deductions on a check are made according to the amount of the income and in no way would you get less than you already get. Also, I think you’re ok on SSDI. I think it’s only SSI that they watch. Could be wrong, though. It’s worth checking out.

1 Like

In MIssissippi they have a 9 month trial period. I imagine after 9 months my book will probably get 20.00 or less but the first month it will probably do well… I’m trying not to worry I have plenty of support and the doctors know my history well enough.

1 Like

I wrote a book about myself too. It is 12 chapters long and I also am self publishing it.
I wouldn’t worry about making so much money from the book that it threatens your SSDI. That possibility is so very unlikely that you needn’t worry. And if your book takes off, you would definitely be able to kiss SSDI goodbye with confidence.

1 Like

I just lost my main job. I think I may finish my book too. I am going to go quickly through the years I was well. That’s where I am now.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and support, it helped a whole lot…

1 Like