Mental Health Problem > Gun Control Problem

So let’s say Bob gets a FOID card, buys a gun, but has not had a psychiatric evaluation.
Let’s also say that Bob was abused as a child, and he now has repressed anger issues as resentment towards his family member who performed such abuse. What will Bob eventually do??? Possibly (I cannot prove this statement), he might possibly grab that gun, go to the last place that kids made fun of him or made him feel bad enough to “erupt” the past abuse and then take fire at everyone he can before saving last bullet for himself and killing himself.

Now read that paragraph carefully. What is wrong with this picture? FOID card application should have been denied? Possibly. WAS THERE A MANDATORY PSYCHIATRIC AND PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION FOR BOB WHO BOUGHT THE WEAPON? NO! Let us all be honest here people. Mass murders, mass shootings, these all happen because of mental health issues! The man who shot 600 people in Las Vegas was an undiagnosed mentally ill patient. The guy who just shot up a church in Texas was a felon who CRACKED HIS CHILD’S SKULL IN 2012 YET HE SOMEHOW GOT A GUN IN 2017!

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? The obvious question is … how is the US Government going to pay for the mandatory psychiatric evaluations? Answer = They will eventually show some humane interest in society and make it a law that in order to purchase a weapon, you MUST have been cleared by mental health professionals.

I want your input people, please comment. Thanks! God bless the families affected by Las Vegas shooting, Manhattan terrorist attack, Texas and Florida Hurricanes, and Texas Church shooting.

1 Like

We need funding for research. We need a cure. That is all.

2 Likes

I’m just going to say what I said somewhere else which is: gun control is not the source of the problem.

While laws being in place might prevent some tragedies, they’re not going to prevent all of them.

And while I agree that a lot of these issues arise because of mental health issues, the cause of mental health issues should be looked at more. (and could it be that people need to change their thoughts/behavior more than trying to force people to conform to laws?)

I for one am not convinced of safety or security because there are more laws in place. It’s just the opposite.

1 Like

Those who sell guns and promote gun ownership should be put on an electric chair.
They condone murder!!

I’m ok with a repeal of the 2nd amendment. seems pretty senseless. de-escalate the military and expand healthcare

Expanding healthcare is a solid idea.

1 Like

“Those who sell guns and promote gun owenership should be put on an electric chair. They condone murder” - In my opinion, this statement is false.

I would love to have a weapon FOR SELF DEFENSE/HOME INVASION DEFENSE but I cannot get a FOID card. My point was that mentally stable (Proven to be not mentally ill) people should be able to protect themselves, however, people who have stomped on their baby’s skull, already been diagnosed with schizophrenia, major depressive disorder, psychosis, bipolar, etc, or have a CRIMINAL RECORDED HISTORY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO OWN A FIREARM.

We need mandatory psychiatric AND psychological evaluations on all firearms owners. How will the USA fund this? I don’t know, why don’t we ask the people in power with billions of dollars to actually be kind, humble, respectful human beings for once and have THOSE PEOPLE FUND THESE EVALUATIONS?!?!?!?!? This is not a rant.

If you want less mass shootings, if you want to feel safe at church ever again, or walking down the street, or going to a concert, THEN HELP PEOPLE, HELP ME DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM BEFORE WE ALL GET MURDERED.

Thanks for listening, reading, and thinking about this very serious issue.

Even Donald Trump said a couple days ago that “It is not a gun control problem, it is a mental health problem.”

1 Like

You do not deserve to own a weapon.
@DelusionalSandwich

I support 2nd amendment rights. I used to own a shotgun and it was fun to shoot at targets. It was terrible what happened, but if they make guns illegal ten only the criminals will have guns. Peace

1 Like

So what happens when a man intrudes your home and holds a gun to your head Chess24? Wouldn’t you like to have been prepared to defend yourself?

That man won’t have a gun if nobody is allowed a gun.

Did you have to do military service erez?

Guns will always be obtainable legally AND illegally

the less guns there are in circulation, the better.
The reality is that other countries have much less guns than the United States.

1 Like

hence it is not a gun control problem because people will get weapons regardless of legality. It IS A MENTAL HEALTH ISSUE

1 Like

@DelusionalSandwich I aggressively promote gun control.
Making guns illegal will greatly reduce the amount of guns in circulation.
It is going to save lives.

Guns don’t kill people, people kill people

1 Like

Mental health problem > gun control problem. Thanks for agreeing.

Do you think a criminal will give you a chance to defend yourself?

If you go for your gun, it’s high-noon, one of you is going down and probably going to be mortally wounded.

1 Like

Chess24, not necessarily. Guns will always be available illegally and without government control of who illegally owns them. I could go contact Billy Bob Joe and get a sniper rifle if I wanted to BUT I have no need for one. We need guns for hunting, self defense, defending of our country from foreign terrorists, and for target practice at shooting ranges. Also we use guns during the National Anthem sometimes, and we also use them for funerals of military service men and women.

Guns do not kill people.

People kill people.