Melatonin worth it?

I read that some APs interfere with melatonin production. Does anyone take it, and did it improve your sleep?

2 Likes

.Yes I had melatonin spray . It’s just natural supplement for sleep , banana has melatonin

2 Likes

Read less ask your doctor more

If you cannot sleep use less computer and walk a lot outside walk 10 km and you will be tired and sleep

1 Like
1 Like

My psychiatrist wants to put me on it. I’m waiting for a call back this week to discuss it.

1 Like

I find it helps. I take it about 30min before bed. It makes me drowsy. I take 0.7mg which is close to what the body is supposed to make on its own under normal circumstances. High doses, like 3mg doesen’t work for me, but I guess this is different for everyone.

1 Like

I take 10mg a night but it doesn’t make me sleepy.

1 Like

Maybe you are one of those who responds to small doses like me.

1 Like

When desperate for sleep I will take it in addition to my prescription meds.

1 Like

I sleep better on antipsychotics than I did pre sz although now I do go to bed easier I wake up throughout the night and have vivid dreams

ChatGPT about use of melatonin while on antipsychotics, and how APs interfere with melatonin production:

Yes, that’s correct. Antipsychotic medications can indeed interfere with the body’s natural production of melatonin, which is a hormone that regulates sleep-wake cycles. This interference can lead to disruptions in sleep patterns, making it difficult for individuals taking antipsychotics to get a good night’s sleep.

Melatonin supplements are often recommended for individuals who experience sleep disturbances due to various reasons, including medication side effects. By taking melatonin supplements at night, individuals on antipsychotics may be able to regulate their sleep-wake cycles more effectively and improve the quality of their sleep.

However, it’s essential to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement, especially if you’re already taking medications. They can provide personalized advice and ensure that melatonin supplementation is safe and appropriate for your specific situation. Additionally, they can help determine the right dosage and timing for taking melatonin to maximize its benefits and minimize any potential risks or interactions with other medications.

Google on using melatonin with olanzapine:

Using OLANZapine together with melatonin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating . Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination.

I think I’m gonna try melatonin tonight without consulting a doctor first. I mean, I can’t die of some melatonin, right? Worst case I just get increased side effects from the medication after I’ve taken it.

@Mr_Hope what do you think?

1 Like

Melatonin is very light weight in my experience. It makes me drowsy about 30 minutes after I take it. Haven’t noticed any side effects really.

1 Like

I got 2mg tablets from my doc - on top of all the other meds I wake up hungover but rested.

I don’t use them much because I don’t like the hangover but they definitely work well for me!

1 Like

I tried it last night. I felt calm after taking it, I think it made me sleep better. I did wake up at night, and had a nightmare, but I’m going to continue taking it. I think I feel more rested today.

It annoys me that the psychiatrists I’ve been talking to have not informed me that APs interfere with the body’s natural production of melatonin. I’ve been on APs for over 4 years and only now found out.

1 Like