Marriage Relationships will have their Ups & Downs

Also, IMO, flexibility is key, regardless of where you live.

For example, what if the husband injured themselves and became physically disabled and could no longer work? What happens to the wife and children in this case if traditional values prevent the wife from working and supporting the family?

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree it should be flexible. I am just merely stating cultural expectations, and we are a product of our environments, you know.

2 Likes

Even in western countries, while it is commonly accepted that women or men should both be able to be the breadwinner, take care of the children etc as much as the other. It is however still true that more men are the breadwinners than women in my country. The former concerns values, the latter is a statistic in my very western country. Theres a difference between the two.

1 Like

It astounds me that in certain societies, some people think that men can have careers and freedoms that women cannot have unless allowed by men. Some men even think that education should be discouraged so that women canā€™t achieve anything. Itā€™s not about duty. Rather the right to make choices, should they desire. Trapping a person into a life long situation they can never escape is inhumane.

Marriage is great btw. I do have a mental illness, I do talk to him about my problems and I do feel supported most of the time. However Iā€™m college educated, so if we were to get separated or he died, I could ideally support my family. Once my kids are grown I will return to work if I can.

I am in a traditional marriage right now. I stay at home and run the household, while he works. I manage all finances, childrenā€™s education, house chores, house repairs, etc. Iā€™m okay with it as it was what we agreed on before marriage. I miss working full time though. I donā€™t have a lot of self care time and Iā€™m constantly stressed about everything. I realize this stage wonā€™t last though. And that helps me feel better.

2 Likes

My future wife also earns a higher income than me and is a University undergraduate as well. Although I am not sure what will happen if & when she is pregnant.

1 Like

If she is earning, and working, it benefits you, overall. Are you working as well and earning?

1 Like

Yup, I have a trades diploma from a technical school with some added computer certifications. I work as a computer network technician and earn well beyond minimum wage.

4 Likes

Marriage/relationships are a dance. You gotta find the rhythms.

1 Like