Managing Sz As Opposed to a Cure

Because I believe schizophrenia is part genetic and part environment, I think a cure for this affliction is far-fetched.

You can’t ‘undo’ someone’s upbringing…it’s hard-wired into the brain. However, with proper medication there can be success in at least managing our mental disorder.

Thoughts?

6 Likes

I think you’re on the right track

1 Like

I think u right aswell !!!

1 Like

I think a cure is possible. This schizophrenia is intolerable.

I think the disorder is 100% what you are born with. The upbringing determines what the voices say.

1 Like

I still think it’s that fluid mix of genes and environment. I mean, why was I diagnosed schizophrenic at the age of 39?

If I was born with this disorder, then why did it only come to the forefront approaching middle age?

3 Likes

Hmmm…

Or perhaps, approaching middle age and never having lived up to my potential, my mind created a false world where I became a successful spectacle…someone worthy of note. A mask to shield my ego from the truth?

1 Like

I manage my sz. I’m not cured, but with meds, therapy, and good supports, I can live the life I want to. I’m happy, and that’s more than I could say about my life before getting ill.

3 Likes

Schizophrenia is caused by either environmental or genetic factors, or both. All we can really do is manage it. I got mine at age 15, I’m 16 now, and I can say just being at the very beginning of my hopefully long journey is that with a strong support system, medications, and therapy we can live a decent life.

2 Likes

besides it’s a big racket, all about money and big pharma

this is why other diseases haven’t been cured

In my own case, I was always raised to believe that I was somehow better, smarter/ more creative than others.

I tried to win a Radio Contest when my twin daughters were born. The prize was $50,000. I felt i needed to win that to provide for my new family. When I lost, it crushed me and I went crazy and ended up in the Hospital. This was my first psychosis.

As my life unfolded, and the expectations put upon me never panned out, perhaps I created a make-believe world where I became the center of attention that I was supposedly destined to be.

But these days I’m quite content being a nobody…with my little job and family and privacy. I realize all of that pie-in-the-sky delusional stuff was just that…the nutty side of my brain taking over.

The determination on how to split resources and time is usually guided by economics. That’s not a bad thing

My whole adult life I’ve been fund raising for a cure for CF

for the Great Strides walk

I asked everybody everywhere, in person and on the phone
for a donation

then I got so discouraged and bitter, I stopped doing it

The genetic load for severe mental illness for me is low.

Paternal- Grandfather and great uncle had depression.

Maternal- Some distant ancestors had signs that might have indicated the presence of a severe mental illness.

Father : No signs of mental illness
Mother: Alcoholic/problem drinker
Sister : Depressive episode
Brother: HIV related psychosis

Cure will happen, but probably not in our lifetimes. My doctor said genetic engineering by inserting a virus would cure it but we don’t have the technology. It’s literally star trek technology. It’s just a theory.

But then there’s this.

Wow what an interesting read !!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.