Living alone makes me realise more deeply I have no close friends

I have my parents (divorced). My sister. My cousins. I also get along with my mother’s boyfriend. All my grandparents are dead.

Do you have a big family?

1 Like

I have 4 siblings and my parents. Not divorced.

All my grandparents are dead and I have no cousins.

2 Likes

You don’t have a choice. It will happen or it won’t.

1 Like

I had lots of friends in high school but you lose touch as everyone has their own lives going on. At 50 I am the lone wolf now and I love it! If you want to make friends just get good at a specific hobby. The way you get good at it is by spending lots of time doing it and thinking about it so its got to be something that you enjoy doing.

2 Likes

Yea sorry that is what I meant.

I think it will happen though.

Hopefully am not just being too optimistic.

It’s scary the whole friendship thing because it’s not just in my control. It depends on if there’s someone who wants to be my friend.

I do believe though that like attracts like.

Meaning that if I’m feeling good about myself I will attract it.

If there’s some to attract

Hey thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

That’s great you like being a lone wolf… Always good to be happy with what you have

Yea I feel the same way. This is why I don’t bother making close friends atm. I’m just not built for it right now. Got too much to work on, on mysyself right now.

Just not emotionally available for too much commitment and such.

Thanks yea they really light me up those cats

Yep I think the illness has helped(!)
Me to realise I need to work on being happy with me before I can invite close friends into my life.

1 Like

Good luck with the therapist. Hope it is of some use to you

I can’t even do the church thing. I get social. Anxiety there. I’ve tried it.

Omg no Internet that must have been awful.

Lol this picture actually makes me laugh.

Animals are so pure… your kitties are awesome

1 Like

Haha thanks yea they are just look at their pure fighting lol

1 Like

A few years ago I had no friends and was always lonely. I started making myself face the anxiety and forced myself to go to the day program on weekdays and church on weekends. It was really hard to battle the urge to just stay home, but I did go and forced myself to try and act “normal”. Although the pandemic has made socializing trickier, I now have a few close friends and many more associates. I WORK HARD to maintain these connections to the world, and sometimes I really don’t want to make the effort, but I always feel better when I do. I also got a dog, and she helps me have a reason to get up every day.

3 Likes

Friendships. I can take them or leave them. I certainly don’t need them. I’m happy unto myself.

2 Likes

I’m very similar to you in my attitude towards socializing. What happened with me was that I kept cutting myself off until I was almost completely solitary, but I’ve gotten to where I’m okay with being alone. I did feel a great deal of anguish getting to this point, though.

2 Likes

Glad you have a furry friend. As far as human ones count the number of people you can contact on your phone who are not exclusively paid to see you and you’ll know the number of close friends you really have. By the way ever notice that you can’t call your voices on the cellphone?

1 Like

This morning the fighting starts again

4 Likes

With my marriage my ex made it to where I cut everyone off even my family. I am slowly building back. Reconnected with my best friend since 2014. I manage the one relationship pretty well. But he knows I can drop off for days at a time. I also live with family as I can’t trust myself alone yet. Like taking my meds, etc. I hope you find what you need when you need it. Be it working on yourself or finding a friend. You got this! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Let the duel begin

1 Like