L-Theanin experience. Only works with caffeine

Hi, I’m new here and this is my first post. I have paranoid schizophrenia and currently take an injection of 300mg Abilify. I have developed some sort of anxiety in social situations in the last few months. On top of that I sometimes have the feeling of being watched when there are multiple people in the room and I get very nervous. I usually retreat to some quiet place then.
I have been trying L-Theanine the past few days with no effect even at 600mg doses. I have read it works synergistically with caffeine so tried drinking black tea with it which has theine in it which is another name for caffeine. Didn’t work however I felt nothing whatsoever from it. Probably not enough caffeine.
I then tried drinking two cups of coffee with 400mg L-Theanin and that was it. It was a pleasant sensation, like waking from a very restive nap. The anxiety was gone as well as the feeling of being watched which I guess is a positive symptome. I will post a few updates to let you know if it lasts.
Much love

1 Like

What brand are you using? I found some brands to be useless.

I use this brand now

https://www.iherb.com/pr/doctor-s-best-l-theanine-with-suntheanine-150-mg-90-veggie-caps/12959

It works the best out of all the brands I’ve tried. The only problem is it’s expensive, so I’ve had to cut down on how much I use.

1 Like

I am using vitalundfitmit100 powder from amazon germany. (can’t put the link here cause i’m new) It’s made from green tea and not synthetic. Not sure if there would be any difference on effect. Also quite inexpensive and with a 100mg scoop.

1 Like

L-theanine never did anything for me and I used to take grams of it

1 Like

I ordered a theanine and caffeine pills. 100mg of each in a capsule. Made me lethargic. Should have figured it out before I don’t respond well to caffeine.

Had taken theanine few years ago. Seemed to help for few months with sleep. Then effect seem to have vaporized. It was just 100mg though.

1 Like

I took it again today. Same dose of 400mg with some coffee. I took a while for the full effect to kick in. I am now very calm. Not anxious at all. I didn’t feel like I was being watched when I was at my gp earlier. So it seems to work reliably. Next thing I’ll do is to find the minimal effective dose. Will try 300mg tomorrow.

1 Like

It did nothing for me.

1 Like

I tried 400mg yesterday without coffee and it had no effect. Today I took 300mg with coffee and it had a similar effect to the previous day. I feel like I had just meditated. So it’s very pleasant

1 Like