Is working is good for us

it seems that those of us diagnosed with sz are more susceptible to stress. That is stress effects us more.

I’ve gone back to work about the last 15 years but have cut back to part time again due to stress.

What do you think of going back to work?

5 Likes

Schizophrenia is stressful. Positive symptoms are stressful. Negative symptoms are stressful. Watching life pass you by while others move on is stressful. Watching the other person get the guy/gal is stressful. Not having enough $$$ for groceries is stressful.

If I’m going to be stressed no matter what I do, I want to have a paycheque and a nice lifestyle to go with it. This is my choice.

7 Likes

Love shutterbugs response.

Work is possible for us and for me part of recovery.

2 Likes

It’s really a individual matter.

If you can handle the stress. Maybe you should work. If not, maybe you shouldnt or should cut back. You don’t want to cause yourself to have a 'break".

Also, If you need the money, maybe you should work. If you don’t you have more options.

The position I am in atm, is that I don’t know if I could handle stressful work, my sleep ‘schedule’ is almost impossible to work around, and I have enough money that I’m not forced to in my current situatiion.

This will probably change when my parents die and I have to pay all the bills. Im working on getting my sleep schedule fixed , so hopefully that will enable me too, at least part time, by the time it is necessary.

6 Likes

It’s okay for people to make the choice that works for them.

2 Likes

I can’t handle a real job. About three hours in of working I start breaking down. I clean my dads office on the weekend, mow it, and help my family with random jobs. For me it’s not just being stressed. I start hallucinating and breakdown from continuous work or any kind of activity that’s involving. For me it’s like walking on a broken leg. Eventually you literally can’t go on or if you do you’re in pain crawling. I’m fine with that these days.

3 Likes

I can’t work, everytime i try to work or study, the voices come back full throttle, to the point where i just can’t focus on the job at hand.

1 Like

I’ll be too stressed out working. I don’t have the tolerance to be around people, if it was a customer services job I’d be sacked within 3 days as I have no filleters.

2 Likes

Thanks Bowens! I need the money as I got married so I work.

2 Likes

I am trying to get a job after a hospitalization caused by work stress. I had a terrible boss. Like a really really terrible boss.

I’m very anxious about starting working again (I’m only looking for part time) because of that level of stress. Now that I am not working i have my mental health back. My meds are working and finally I feel like I can breathe again without the stress of work.

Unfortunately I need a job so we can pay our bills though bc I can’t get disability to approve my freaking claim. Makes me so upset.

1 Like

It all depends on the person. I believe I could have worked when I was in my mid twenties, infact, I did work in my early twenties. You can’t tell how sick a person is sometimes by just looking at her. I let myself be because I’m a psychopath. I’m a harmless and lonely psychopath. I just hope my new pdoc understands because the government asks them every year if we should go back to work.

1 Like

Working is very liberating. But you have to find a job specific to your own needs. Low key and low stress is ideal. I publish my writing material as a side gig. I was a financial and administrative assistant for a tv and radio host which was not too bad and my favorite job was teaching violin. During college I was a night shift janitor and sometimes it was just me cleaning. All these jobs have suited me well.

I totally get if you are unable to work though. It’s not for everyone. And I’ll never call a person inadequate or lazy if they can’t work. You can only do so much.

2 Likes

That is an awesome mindset you have dude. I hadnt really considered the " may as well be stressed going for a nice lifestyle if im gonna be stressed anyway"

1 Like

Back in spring 2021 i was so stressed it was outragaeous. I had completely run out of savings. I had managed to run down around 100k in 3 ish years. I was still dealing with a bad psychotic episode when i ran out of money so i was flipping out. My dad gave me 3k my gf gave me 3k , i Went through 5 jobs in 3 months still psychotic, my pdoc was seriously worried about me ending things she almost called the police to my house cuz i wouldnt answer her calls. I made it out though and now im full time in a decent job i didnt know id be doing, money saved, and i got friggen married.

Sometimes life is full on fire but it can be worth it.

3 Likes

This is what the pdocs fail to realize: That not working, being without money, is even more stressful than the stress that comes with work. So, they would generally advise, and ask us, to do nothing in our lives.

3 Likes

That only works up to a point. The stress of the I.T. job was a major contributor to my heart attack. I had to dial the stress load back to a sustainable level. We all have our limits and I sure found mine.

2 Likes

Working is really good for me,
whatever it is - this sz is not gonna leave me alone.
Even I have stopped everything that alters the brain chemicals,
still these thoughts came up when I worked.

It’s only about the frequency of impact,
while at work and it’s the ability to handle it.
Some time life is interesting,
sorting things up in my thoughts like multitasking.
The drawback is when multitasking in my mind,
I can’t do a multi tasking work.
Which will lead to confusion.

In the end never doubt one’s ability.

Go out there and know your potential.

Oh yeah for sure, i took a lower stress job as well. The trouble was finding one that paid enough and was low stress but I found it.

2 Likes

Yeah i had all my disability forms filled out by my pdoc and i was just thinking what the heck im gonna do with 650 a month. Its a tough position to be in. If disability paid atleast 2k then i probably would of done it and id possibly still be on it.

1 Like

I agree. It is hard to survive in 650 a month.

2 Likes