Is it realistic to pursue a job in Python programming?

I am low functioning in some ways and high functioning in others. I get easily distracted. I had and left 5 jobs since falling ill 10 years ago. I have very high anxiety levels. I was wondering if it is realistic to pursue a remote job in computer programming, specifically Python. Would anyone here have anything to say about that? @Joker

5 Likes

I’m not sure.

I think if you plan on advanced ways to focus, and then refocus when your mind wanders, you’ll be ok.

3 Likes

i m on the same boat.i have really strong urge to get ccna ccnp certificate in cisco exam and i will.but my advice is if you are currently in job don look for adventure but if you r free its good be on follow your dream.good luck

3 Likes

Hey @Nomad

For my job I had an occupational health assessment and they basically told the employer that I need to work from home to avoid the sorts of issues you say

Python seems good but I am invested in R at the moment

4 Likes

I think you could always pursue it – start with learning – and see how it turns out
I was working remotely in programming (iOS) before i became unwell with psychotic symptoms over the past few months
My employer recently reached out and said that they would be willing to have me back in any capacity
I will probably try part-time and see how it goes
I’m on a slightly higher dose of quetiapine, and a bit more focused, and felt like trying to do the things that i used to do

Before this i was having pretty bad delusions over the past few months about certain industries being evil
But anyway i think it is worth trying and see how you go
Employers can make accomodations too when it gets to that point of employment

I did learn Python before i went into ios programming. Python can be a friendly language to start with

3 Likes

I work remotely an IT job. I use another programming language though. For some reason, Python’s dynamic typing puts me off. However, it has been massively adopted by several industry sectors, and it’s the number 1 choice for doing machine learning or web scraping.

As regards anxiety, I also have it in social settings. I highly favor working from home instead of going to the office.

Lack of focus might be in the way. Start small and see how it goes. For instance, open a free account on hackerrank or leetcode and start completing easy assignments. Ideally you should be able to focus for 50 minutes at a time, followed by a 5-10 minute break.

4 Likes

That is cool. Are you a statistician or a programmer?

2 Likes

Pretty good at programming now and know some statistics but the math I am learning. Understand the concepts. Just want to be able to write the calculations

2 Likes

I thought about it years back but realize you either gotta be a developer (pro) with experience or really good work (resume) (or portfolio). Furthermore, there are other languages that are easier to get a job doing like javascript or C#.

Focusing on one language alone is probably not a great idea, but what do I know? I don’t program or code or anything haha. I know nothing. I don’t even have experience or work history. I’m not really even interested anymore on trying.

My former best friend is self taught and did freecodecamp (or w/e) in record time and finished it and was a math major so he had to prove himself. Last time I talked to him a few years back, he was working two software developing jobs making six figures.

All things are possible just takes time and investment achieving that

1 Like

Programming is hard for me do you have python skills ?

1 Like