Is it possible to get my doctor to change something written in my notes?

Basically, the first time I ever went to see a psychiatrist was late 2018. I have only been to one psychiatrist. At the time I had experienced my first and only major episode. And while I was very disoriented as a result of my condition, I can pretty plainly remember a lot of the details I told my doctor who I was seeing for the first time.

During our first few sessions, he had asked a number of questions and had written down notes (as doctors do). I remember him asking about my relationship status at the time, to which I told him I was single, and the last time I had been in a relationship at that point in time was in 2015.

For whatever reason, I remember he kept asking a lot of things about my ex from my last relationship. He wouldn’t move on to other things. I very clearly told him that I don’t think my ex boyfriend has anything to do with me being sick. It had been almost 4 years since my last relationship and I had moved on from the person. I think, for reasons I can’t quite comprehend my doctor believed I was depressed because of an ex. Even though I had not offered any information about this to start with, and I did not believe it was the case.

During a recent session with my psychiatrist, he decided to go through all the notes he had on me from the very beginning, as I had asked what my diagnosis is. As he was telling me the story as it was accounted in his notes, he was like “So there was a boy who you had broken up with. This was the cause for a lot of distress… etc etc.”

I was really irked by this because the “boy” was not the cause of any distress or any of my troubles. I did not say this to him. He totally came up with his own narrative and I think its unfair. I sound like I was boy crazy and obsessed with someone to the point of psychosis. This is an inaccurate detail, it bothers me and I would like him to alter it.

My question is, is this possible?. I don’t want this to be my story, because it isn’t. If I ask, can he change what is written in my notes?

3 Likes

Now, it sounds like you’re obsessing about the pdocs notes. Don’t worry about it. Your true story will come out with time. Be patient.

But I feel like it matters because, won’t the details affect my diagnosis which I have still not received?

*Edit: also I don’t believe I am obsessing per se. I’ve just noticed that he has stuck to this inaccurate detail after all this time.

Maybe he thinks that getting a new bf will help you.

Ask him why he asks too much questions about that.

Yes I really am going to question him about that next time. I think I’m just going to be direct and ask him to change the notes, even though I don’t know if he can do that.
I actually quite like my single life at the moment, I’m in no rush for a new relationship.

1 Like

I really don’t want to know what is in their notes about me. I think if they started telling me what was in their notes about me that I would ask them to stop.

If in UK.

If you feel something on your records is wrong you cannot usually delete it. You can ask your doctor to add a note to show that you disagree.

2 Likes

Tell him that. Just like you told us. I used to be a medical professional and I know that your pdoc can’t legally go back and change or delete notes. But they can amend the notes to something more accurate.

1 Like

That’s completely fair. I’ve seen the notes they have on me as well and a lot of it is not what came out of my mouth. And there’s even words like “complaining” about things when really it’s a matter of stating the obvious. It’s pitiful these people practice medicine tbh. They aren’t genuine.

If you’re uk based you can request your records be cleared I believe.

If you told him, this was not the cause, they would probably just add that to the history.

I certainly hope that’s the case. But I think I’ll bring it up with the psychiatrist nevertheless.

Yes, I think it can be stressful for a lot of people. But personally, my curiosity about things tends to override my fear of knowing.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.