Interaction between baseline BMI and baseline disease severity predicts greater improvement in negative symptoms in first-episode schizophrenia

i tried to understand this but cant. anyone know what it means?

Here’s an A.I. summary

The study investigated the relationship between baseline body mass index (BMI), disease severity, and the improvement of negative symptoms in first-episode, medication-naïve schizophrenia (FEMN SCZ) patients. It found that:
- A higher baseline BMI was linked to more severe symptoms at the start.
- Both higher BMI and greater disease severity at baseline were associated with better outcomes after 3 months of risperidone treatment.
- Specifically, the combination of BMI and disease severity at the beginning predicted improvements in negative symptoms.

This suggests that considering both BMI and symptom severity could help forecast how patients might respond to antipsychotic treatment.

1 Like

Umm, is anybody else noticing that this is likely not actually negative symptoms. Of course you are likely to be more sedentary and sluggish if you are significantly overweight.

It seems to me they are likely taking things that are related to obesity and calling them negative symptoms of schiziphrenia, when they are really a separate issue.

1 Like