In The Rooms - A Global Recovery Community (Addiction)

Whether you are in Recovery, seeking immediate help, a family member, friend or ally, register for InTheRooms NOW! You’ll get exclusive free access to Daily Meditations, Speaker Tapes, and over 100 LIVE, ONLINE, Recovery Support Video Meetings for AA, NA, Eating Disorders and more! There are over 338,294 members who are willing to share their experience, strength and hope with YOU.

http://www.intherooms.com/

2 Likes

very handy to know barbie thanks,

i just started studying about drug use/misuse at college and i think that covers alcoholism as well

2 Likes

I took a class about drugs and booze. Honors drug and alcohol behavior. I made a B

over here the word narcotics has a very different meaning

Yeah narcotic is a scientific term. So is alcoholism. My professor said a true alcoholic is addicted and physiologically dependent on ethanol. They get delirium tremens when they don’t have their booze.

Oh my… Not quit an up to date idea of alcoholism by your professor. Stereotypical and bad cases yes. I have know alcoholics who have come clean/dry and no delirium tremors :wink:

i’m thinking about going to a recovery meeting,

its for drug addicts and alcoholics but its also for other types of recovery

i went to a meeting last week and i saw some of them speak and it was pretty cool hearing some of their stories of recovery and they were very brave to speak in front of us (a crowd of about 50 people)
and they were singing as well, and it wasn’t forced or anything they were genuinely happy.

3 Likes

Well it’s not an absolute that DT happens, just a lot of the time- it’s common. Idk she said a true alcoholic has to be physiologically addicted to alcohol. It makes sense because addictions are psychological (not a concrete addiction, not quantitative) or physiological (measurable symptoms of withdrawal, physical symptoms like blood pressure, vomiting, sweating)

That sounds positive. Just be careful not to diagnose yourself with an addiction. I used to think had alcoholism, but I was very mistaken.

back in my days you were only an addict if you were stickin a needle in your arm

wait nm im not that old

but some guy said that in AA the other day

and i was reminded of it in this thread.

peace -ttp

they are called junkies but i don’t like that word, as it describes a certain ilk

like over here you know a junkie straght away (thats what everyone calls them) they have a certain behaviour and way of talking or acting,

i would love to de-junkify someone if i was working in the recovery programme

1 Like

yeah but even today if you smoke a little too much weed you can be called an “addict”

although i used to be “addicted” to weed, then i just stopped loving it. now i identify myself as an alcoholic, because the only other drugs I ever did (Hallucinogens) aren’t addicting.

This girl in my house used a cool metaphor…everyone in the rooms is an “alcoholic” because drugs and alcoholic are used to cleanse a lacking in the “spirit”, and alcoholics drink “spirits”. get it? yeah you do.

that all said, alcohol is my drug of choice.

thats what happened with narcotics in america i think,

they use the term way more broadly than it should be

over here in the uk a narcotic is the opposite of a stimulant

in other words its not a name for all illegal drugs, its just a downer

you get uppers= stimulants and downers= narcotics, and thats it

as far as i know

hmmm interesting. i think here it’s different than that. heroin, weed, LSD, cocaine are narcotics. but so is klonopin, adderall, and oxycontin.

pretty much anything that has potential for abuse.

like ill ask my doctor about giving me my klonopin prescription when i move to another state and he says “youll have to be careful with narcotics and crossing state borders” or something like that. even though it’s still legal with a prescription.

i think there’s class a, b, and c drugs. and class a and b are narcotics and c are not. if im correct.

thats how the US defines it though. Peace :blush:

1 Like