I'm writing a book

It’s a comedy book. 50K words. Any writers on here? This is my first go at this. I will write more if anyone buys it and likes it.

7 Likes

write when you’re fresh…at least thirty mins. or even fifteen mins. a day…in a year you will have a book. don’t skip days writing…write every day or writing a book will lick you quicker than boo to quote a writer I read once.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I use a website designed to help writers write and stay organized. It helps. One day, I wrote 7K words! Then my MI kicked in and I was off for 2 months. I will try to stay consistent. Thx!

3 Likes

Awesome that you’re taking this on

I started taking a free online novel-writing course for 50K words last year, but then i had become psychotic a short while after and youth mental health service told me to stop doing too much (work, study, etc.) to try reduce stress, etc.

Anyway the main advice from the course was to try and fit in 500 words every day. Each week includes 5 days of writing a week, so that’s 2500 words a week. And each chapter is 2500 words.

After 20 weeks, you will have 20 chapters of a 50,000 word novel.

I got to week 2 of writing (there were 2 weeks of planning out the novel beforehand) before psychosis started getting intense. But i’d like to try do it again at some later stage.

1 Like

When you write a novel, do you have to outline the entirety of the plot first?

1 Like

Nah i think it’s up to you and we didn’t outline the complete plot in that course

Before writing the novel, we just did

• the logline (summary of the novel in one sentence)
  • dramatic question (what core question do you want to plant in your reader’s mind, that they will find the answer to by the end of the novel), and
  • backgrounds of the characters
4 Likes

That’s really interesting

2 Likes

Anyone here using the snowflake method when planning / developing a storyline ?

2 Likes

@unicornrose The cool thing about writing is you can always go back to it. I have heard some best selling authors have taken 3 years to write a book because they are doing other things.

1 Like

For my book, I came up with a plot. A synopsis. Reminder, I use a website that helps. I came up with several main scenes that I wanted in the book (again, it’s a comedy). Next, I did character development notes for the main character and a couple supporting characters. Next, I created a bulleted outline of my 12 chapters. The chapters will be about 4K words each to keep it under 50K words. each chapter is a comedic incident or event. The last chapter is a plot twist and the ending. I just finished my first chapter. I will start on my next today.
I have ideas for several books but we will see where this one goes first! lol

1 Like

If you look in Unusual Beliefs, I also have a thread about "have you ever thought you were God or Jesus?
I am also, eventually going to write a book about my opinion of the self-aware universe. Should be fun :slight_smile:

I have a written correspondence with my cousin and an ex girlfriend. It helps clear the mind. I personally choose to write by hand , it is cathartic, the physical struggle to remain legible.

2 Likes

@Jinx
I have read that it is good for the brain to write by hand. I am 55, so I easily remember when that was the only way to correspond with friends and relatives in other states besides, of course, landline phones.

2 Likes

I’m working on a book for sofobomo. Trying to get the hang of using scribus.

1 Like

Oh cool! What is sofobomo?

Nevermind:) I looked it up…

I also write by hand, when I journal. My writing isn’t as neat as pre-illness. So long as I’m able to read it, no harm done.

2 Likes

I have just written a thriller, now i’m going to edit it before i send it to a publisher and most likely get it refused.

I have written to novels for a commercial publisher, two crime novels. And three collections of poetry for an avantgarde publisher, not commercial

2 Likes

I admire you @bluebutterfly !
I was hoping to actually make a few dollars writing my books. I doubt it though. There are so many books on the market. Are you able to make a living with your writing? I wish I could.

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words @non-average, it’s 15 years ago i published. I could live of it back then for a couple of years, but since i haven’t published anything since then, i only earn a very small amount on royalty.

You should go for it, and if you are from the states, you might find an agent. I have heard that is very normal in USA. In my country, Denmark, we send it directly to the publisher. I have to say i have had many books returned from the publisher without any interest, but i keep on writing… and hoping

2 Likes