I'm guessing I will only get PIP for another two years

They’ll push me off it once I get a job.

That’s probably why I was rejected the first three times, because I showed them i was working although that’s not supposed to have an impact on their decision…

It’s not a great system, but if you get help from CAB they can word things so you don’t slip off the qualifying lines. It seems if you use the wrong words to say the same thing then you don’t qualify.

1 Like

I got rejected 3 times. I applied for the 4th time and contacted my local mp who got involved then I got it. But i suspect the hospital admission had something to do with it too.

1 Like

3 times? Woah that must’ve been stressful.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about something that might happen in 2 years time.

1 Like

Now you have it, I think it’s harder for them to take it away

I hope anyways.

Mines due for renewal next year

1 Like

With MH they seem to give small awards as they think with MH it can get better with treatment. With my intellectual disability I tend to get long awards as this is a permanent condition.

1 Like

Do you guys in the UK get amounts based on work credits?

1 Like

No. We have set amounts for benefits. So somebody who has never been able to work will get the same amount as somebody who has worked for 30 years.

2 Likes

When your due for renewal for your PIP. You should phone them straight away - and tell them give you 2 months for you to gather the evidence. Then start moaning at your CMHT (or equivalant) for a supporting letter, ideally off your shrink, or care-coordinator.

So long as the text includes “life-long diagnosis of schizophrenia” and requires “constant support to remain stable in the community” you should be laughing.

2 Likes

How much is the average pip monthly? Do you guys pay anything for medical bills. And do you get taxed. I have to figure out in the US about doing tax for 2021. Not sure on the law here either.

1 Like

My Enhanced Daily living PIP is about £396 every 4 weeks, I dont get the mobility componant. No Medical bills - were NHS.

Not sure if im paying a nominal tax on it, i probably am.

1 Like

I get Standard Mobility and Standard living. Comes out at £330

When I got the points I was 1 point off enhanced.

They basically ignored me and what I told them, and the report was a load of nonsense.

Didn’t bother challenging it, as it took so long to get

2 Likes

So they access your disability and you get standard because of point off a test or something? Is that enough for rent and food? What if you live in London. That’s expensive.

Cost of living seems expensive in UK but i guess no you don’t pay docs and meds and no tax.

Shoot - the gov will tax my income from disability. Didn’t save anything.

If your not working like im not - you get your rent paid for with housing benefit.

It has changed since, as luckily im still on the legacy ESA and PIP. The universal credit they put you on now is monthly for the lot of it, and its had a lot of complaints.

Wow. That’s a load off stress not worrying about rent. So system probably isn’t perfect but so much simpler than the US for a person who also has to manage mental disabilities.

1 Like

I get £604 a month PIP. I’m on the highest rate. Didnt have to attend a medical as I’m classed as severely disabled. I get £396 every two weeks ESA. I get my housing paid in full as I’m in supported living. I don’t pay tax, my prescriptions are free. I get a bus pass for free travel for all over England. I also get 31 one-to-one support hours a week from support workers paid by social services so I can live independently in the community.

I get a bus pass too, but it’s not for all over England. Mines just the freedom pass oyster to use in London.

@Milly I can’t wait til ideas like that hit The US. I do remember how cool in Germany or something the bus system was an honor system. I can’t tell you how many times I used to miss buses here cause of not having exact change.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.