If society was less ignorant about mental illness

if society was less ignorant about mental illness then maybe some of us would be less likely to defend our belief in “voices” and the supernatural, and therefore put more effort into concerning ourselves with beating the thoughts which may actually be the primary cause behind the supernatural sensations such as voices etc.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how much discrimination is caused due to ignorance as opposed how much of it is due to peoples inability to tolerate things different than themselves.

1 Like

heylow bipolar bear!

You really can thank the Media - Television and Movie industry for the stereotypes given to the severe mental illnesses.

As a whole though we were always stigmatized and misunderstood.

Decades ago - not too long ago we were tortured in the name of science - lobotomies, insulin shock treatments, etc… were the norm - I am talking about the 1940s and 1950s not so long ago.

Yes there is a lot of ignorance - but in the past we were treated as second class citizens even by the doctors (psychiatrists) treating us.

We are feared because we do not fit in neatly into societies perfect little boxes - We are feared then hated - progress is way too slow - sometimes the stigma is worse than the disease

4 Likes

Wave is completely right, this is nicki minaj fueling the fire of ghetto perceptions on how peoples lives are.

I also said that Nicki Minaj is just a ghetto strawberry shortcake on crack…

1 Like

society can be jealous of us for being enlighted

1 Like

Ignorant & afraid is what the masses are.

1 Like

Think they’re mostly just distracted by stuff, sports, politics, celebrity, entertainment, planning holidays, fetching the kids from school, essential research, I think most people are subjected to an endless stream of stuff. Trying to get a word in edgways about things like mental health is not so easy.

But it’s not just stereotypes and perceptions around mental health. I think the majority of society has a bit of waking up to do, the world is a broader place than the mainstreams cozy physical reality and lots of people with sz challenge that and are reminders that maybe there is some more. No wonder they are a bit uncomfortable.

If society truly was more aware, I think there would be more compassion. 25% of people will have a mental health problem in their lifetime, that’s a lot. But it’s being kept hidden, not talked about. So there is this perceived us and them. But there is no we and them. The reality is we are part of them.

2 Likes

Wave I’m defending science. The mentally ill practicing witchcraft were burned at the stake, pretty damn good solution of the church and supernatural right? I don’t like how you worded your post “tortured in the name of science”. If it was not for science you would NOT have the medication your on. And churches don’t make medicine just delusions. Money, politics working out, that is all science bro.

It’s materialism, to be more precise.

put society on the back foot and prove them wrong

yes media has tooo much influence

we are all entitled to our believes. that is the whole problem i have been learing about perception. my own perception on life. so if praying has helped me along this far in the last few months good for me. if meds help another (science) good for them.

therapy has also helped me. (self help therapy like writing abou tthings here and with friends… and talking about it with myself and what i percieve to be my angels from heaven or god)

sorry. also this is just a rant but we all have to take care of ourselves an put ourselves first. does not mean being selfesh. but we have to protect ourselves as mentally ill have the short end of the stick and are the “weak” link in some ways. so i don’t want/need to concern myself with too many norms i have to do what i have to do.

1 Like

he is god

All Apologies
Song by Nirvana
What else should I be
All apologies
What else could I say
Everyone is gay
What else could I write
I don’t have the right
What else should I be
All apologies
In the sun
In the sun I feel as one
In the sun
In the sun
I’m married
Buried
I wish I was like you
Easily amused
Find my nest of salt
Everything is my fault
I’ll take all the blame
Aqua sea foam shame
Sunburn with freeze burn
Choking on the ashes of her enemy
In the sun
In the sun I feel as one
In the sun
In the sun
Married, maried, maried!
Buried!
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
All in all is all we are
All in all is all we are
All in all is all we are
All in all is all we are
All in all is all we are
All in all is all we are
All in all is all we are
All in all is all we are
All in all is all we are
All in all is all we are

You can defend it all you want.
Medical procedures in the past were Barbaric - this is just a fact.

I do realize that there was a lot of experimentation going on before things kind of improved.
But these meds that we have today still need to be improved - We still have a long way to go

1 Like

it s combination act. some people freak out about the supernatural and think things about god that are badly influence by a lack of truth, and knowledge. science is a human act we are part of god from my perspective. medicine is a form a science which is a good thing some people need ventilators. science. people are imperfect you have to have faith in yourself and in life anyway you can

1 Like

stuff but this is my post. so i don’t want it to be banned and i know first hand that we are not allowed to have spiritual debates or condemning of either points of views.

(even though i am very into the subject myself but admin won’t allow)