I stopped drinking alcohol two months ago, and

I enjoy the feeling in my body, the good sleep, the reduction in stress and anxiety, my economy is better, but everything seems grey, like the world has lost its colours. I’m far less social.

I don’t miss alcohol, but I miss feeling alive. I talk with a psychiatric nurse once in a while. She keeps saying that it is just a matter of time before i will be better. She says it can take half a year before i feel alive again, i don’t know if i can make it half a year.

I asked on reddit in a subreddit for alcoholics, som improve right away, some first after a year and some never get back on track.

10 Likes

Congrats on quitting!

4 Likes

Probably cos your so used to the “high” booze gives you, you now feel like your missing out on enjoyment.

Im heard many say in AA meetings - their life seems more boring and tedious for a while. But apparently it does go away.

Im only nearly 2 weeks dry - so i sort of get what you mean.

5 Likes

I drank vodka daily and used marijuana daily and used nicotine for a year. I quit a month ago and I feel better and more alive. Less guilt. I was wanting to quit all the time I was using because I became dependent on it. It was leading me to trouble with my family and the law like a DUI. I have the habits to use them to feel alive but I honestly feel more alive without them. I use a lot of vitamin supplements to give me energy. I could not feel alive without them and see life without them. That is why I feel so much more freedom without them. I actually feel on better track because I can knock alcohol and weed and nicotine now that I have tried them. I instantly become dependent on them and lost control of my reasoning and intelligence. Why was I using them. What are they made for. Occasional use like once a week or two. Not everyday and every hour like I was using them. The damage to my lungs and liver that could happen was enough to make me realize I was not using them as they were intended to be used. Alcohol must be intended to use not in a way that will harm ones liver or become dependent on it for life. I dont think Alcohol is sold for one to be dependent on it to feel alive daily? I take a antidepressant which helps me also feel alive. I am having good luck. It is not hard. I hope you feel more alive and find out why you are less social. Alcohol is supposed to improve social ability Where would you rather be if you don’t feel like being in a social situation. Why don’t you have things to talk about and mental responsiveness without alcohol? I can be a pretty quit person in social situations and still enjoy others talking about whatever. I still feel like going out and buying alcohol or weed or nicotine out of habit. I know it is scientific they are drugs and do scientific things that make me feel good. But psychologically they were damaging me with dependence. For me taking mega doses of vitamins and caffeine now make me feel alive. And I still have a libido that makes me feel alive which is another issue. I wish you would feel the way you want and enjoy yourself the way you want to. Did anything in life make you feel alive other than alcohol?

1 Like

I stopped drinking two days ago

It’s difficult

3 Likes

It comes back. Not only will it come back, you’re going to find that you were seeing less than half the colours that are out there. Your body and brain are healing and it will take a few months to get over this hump. Hold fast and don’t give up, the really good part of sobering up is just around the corner and I promise you that you will love it.

Congrats on quitting!

:heart:

3 Likes

Great job on quitting!!! The good feelings will return after you’ve quit for a while.

1 Like

Thanks for the informative answers and the back up @FreeLunch @shutterbug @Naarai @TheCanuk
@CoCo @Dude1

I hope i wont start again, and that it’s just a matter of time before the change comes around. I don’t want to damage my body again.

I’m going to talk with my psychiatrist on monday, and i really hope we can change my antidepressant, right now i’m taking a MAO-inhibitor (Marplan) but it stopped working years ago. I need a lift or push to keep me sober, perhaps the summer is the push im yearning for.

6 Likes

Alcohol is a tricky one. Essentially you’re playing with fire. I have an addictive personality and I manage to keep a limit on what I drink. It would be better if I stopped altogether cos I do feel like I’m playing with fire.

1 Like

True, at the moment i need disulfiram (antabuse) to prevent me from drinking, when i take antabuse i simply stop thinking about it or consider if i should by a drink. I know its better to do it wiithout antabuse

It’s okay if you need the med. Don’t feel bad about about needing the med. I’m proud of you for making such a difficult change. You will begin to feel alive over time. You can enjoy life sober and it will be clearer and brighter. You will have more memories to cherish. Alcohol has a way of burying memories good and bad. It’s worth it being sober. Well done as you continue this journey. I’m rooting for you.

1 Like