I learned a new word today: polylectal

It sounds so dirty !!!

3 Likes

what does it mean?

I really donā€™t know. It has to do with linguistics. Iā€™ll have to read more to figure it out but hereā€™s the definition:
ā€œ In the field of dialectology, a diasystem or polylectal grammar is a linguistic analysis set up to encode or represent a range of related varieties in a way that displays their structural differences.ā€

3 Likes

wow =p that is almost as complex as the word itselfā€¦ haha =D
nice new word you learned though =)

2 Likes

hmmm if we break down the word and the context you sent, it looks like to me it means multiple dialects? i bet a lot of people in the uk are polylectal, including myself!

1 Like

I never thought about that but you may be correct. Are you into linguistics?

not massively but i do have an english literature degree, so im used to dissecting words if iā€™m not sure what they mean!

1 Like

Oh. Ok. I get it.

I think it means learning the structure (grammatic) of different dialects.

Some dialects have another grammatic structure even itā€™s the same language?

I donā€™t know. I think syntax between Modern Standard Arabic and Egyptian Arabic is a little different for example. Like in Egyptian Arabic one says ā€œMeans what this?ā€ Whereas MSA one says ā€œWhat this mean?ā€ Word order is a little different.

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s not a big difference, perhaps it is what polylectal means, the minor differences. I should know, but Iā€™m old and forgot my linguistics.

1 Like

I looked up lecture etymology. Iā€™m not sure if both words come from the same root but:

late Middle English (in the sense ā€˜reading, a text to readā€™): from Old French, or from medieval Latin lectura , from Latin lect- ā€˜read, chosenā€™, from the verb legere .

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.