I have the ambition to become a street musician

I read a book about a busker (street musician) and his cat and that gave me the ambition to become a street musician. I’ve suddenly developed this desire. It’s very odd but I have it. I ordered a roll-up piano and the one I got in the mail was defective and didn’t work so, I’m sending it back. I’ll get another one. They are extremely portable and lightweight. Really cool. Street musicians play all day long so, they get lots and lots of practice. That should shape up my skills in no time. I’d have to move downtown and move out of here (this senior living community) though. Which is ok. I want to move anyway. This is just a crazy dream of mine. I don’t know if I’ll really do it. It remains to be seen. To make it as a busker you got to be really good. And I’m not really good. So, I doubt it. Maybe someday.

6 Likes

Maybe try it out for a bit before making a really committing step like moving apartments.

1 Like

Can you travel to perform at first to make sure it’s right for you before moving to another community?

1 Like

@amethyst @CoCo You both make good sense. You are right. I should try it out first.

2 Likes

I think it’s a cool idea. Be prepared to be ignored though - I saw a video of a violin virtuoso that plays sold out massive shows do some busking on the street, barely anyone stopped to listen, she made 30$, im sure a lot of people enjoyed hearing it though.

There’s also an app called Bandhub - you collaborate with other musicians and add your track to their cover to make multitrack recordings. I used it for a bit and added some trumpet to songs.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be doing it so much for the attention as to get out there and get in the habit of practicing in public for hours and hours. The idea of playing in front of an “audience” for hours on end appeals to me. Because of all the practice I would get. I could overcome my anxiety of performing for an audience. Right now, my anxiety is over the top.

1 Like

I have played in the streets with a friend twice. we just tried to see how much money we can make. the first time it was a disaster. the second time it was very good. we made good money.

1 Like

Sounds like a nice idea @SkinnyMe. All the best with it!

1 Like

Go for it @SkinnyMe ! Don’t let any dreams pass you by!
If you will move downtown, do your research very well and plan things very well so you don’t face any problems especially with money.

Maybe you can even contact some performers and ask them if they are looking for joint ventures. Here where I live, we have a lot of festivals all the time and we always go and watch street musicians and performers. Lots of talent!

1 Like

It’s never too late to pursue your dreams @SkinnyMe.

1 Like

I’ve been listening to Dixieland jazz street bands playing down in New Orleans, particularly a band called “Tuba Skinny”. They’ve been playing for hours and hours every day for years. Some of their songs are dated from 2012. They’re really good. If you like Dixieland they’re the people you want to listen to.

1 Like

I ordered my second roll up piano and it was defective too. I made the mistake of ordering the exact same type of piano from the exact same seller. Won’t do that again.

Moving out of your Senior living center is a big step.
I would first try it out as a hobby before making such a big commitment.

Sounds pretty cool.
Good luck!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.