I don't know if I'll be able to avoid diabetes

With these meds there is a heightened risk on diabetes, and my mom brings in pastries every day.

I’ve eaten raspberry pie, chocolate Easter bunnies, strawberry pastries and pancakes this week alone.

This can’t be healthy!

I guess I will have to develop the spine to say no if I want to avoid type 2 diabetes.

Edit: She also bought a pack of Coca-Cola with sugar…

3 Likes

Have you told her about the meds increasing the risk of diabetes?

I’m on olanzapine and rarely eat sugary foods.

1 Like

She knows. She doesn’t care.

It’s my responsibility to say no, but she doesn’t make it easy.

1 Like

No, I understand.

I guess you have to say thank you but no.

It’s hard when it comes to parents tough. I think she just wants to be nice. But being nice isn’t necessarily good.

1 Like

The boyfriend of my mom also smokes outside.

But luckily I don’t care anymore. After 6 years without a smoke I’ve broken free of the temptation.

1 Like

My sister offers me nicotine pouches but I quit like 2 months ago. It’s very tempting but I don’t want to become addicted again.

I quit cigarettes 20 years ago. I hate smokers. I do miss it sometimes after dinner or when I have a cup of coffee. :confused:

1 Like

2 months is a great start. It should get easier from here on.

1 Like

I really do live unhealthy too. Every day I go into the gas station and buy a full corn rai bread and some meat and cheese to put on the rai bread. slices. I’ve have replaced vegetables gis and fruits with one L of orange or apple juice. I drink four cans of coffee each day and smoke 80 cigs on average each day.
High quality of life for me means early death:

2 Likes

80 cigs is a lot!

I used to smoke a pack a day and thought it was already too much.

1 Like

It’s your life. Do as you wish. I don’t want to get older either. But cigarettes fu-ck you up and they cost a fortune. It’s not exactly what I’d call having a high quality of life. The addiction I mean.

2 Likes

With every cigg you smoke you shortens your life span with 5 minutes but who cares.
My motto is.
Smoke strong die young and become a beautifull dead body.

2 Likes

I dont inhale for my health to last longer. They are expensive but I’m just in the process to get a death sentenced mans last wish approved. Free cigs as many I like and as often I wish until death in 4 - 10 years.
And the lived smoking happy ever after:

2 Likes

I have diabetes from the pills. I got my eyes checked and the doctor said if you have uncontrolled diabetes for 10 years (A1c above 7) you will develop retinopathy; eye damage from diabetes.

1 Like

I still have some safety margin. In my last bloodwork of last year my H1A1C was 5.1

But with these meds you have to be careful.

I hope that you are able to reverse the diabetes. That is possible in some cases!

1 Like

I was told I had diabetes in January 2018. I was drinking soda every day, mostly Mountain Dew so that’s probably what caused it. I don’t think it was the meds. I got my A1C down to 4.8 and my doctor reduced my Metformin by half in January.

1 Like

best thing to do is avoid refines sugar. Maybe go Keto, but thats not easy at least not for me since my mum cooks for me, and she always adds potatoes to the dishes. So to avoid diabetes whilst on these meds exercise and eat healthy, those can be the savers. And maybe when KarXt comes out avoid it at all by switching to KarXT

2 Likes

Diabetes wasn’t able to avoid me.

1 Like

I think diabetes is more related to obesity than it is sugary foods/drinks.

1 Like

Genetics. EVERYONE on my mom’s side gets it at some point. Everyone.

2 Likes

Get a diabetes test kit from a store. It will let you know what range you are in… safe pre diabetes and so on. Good to test first thing in morning before eating.

2 Likes