How would you describe yourself if you werent ill?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, @Anna!!! Hope it’s a very joyous day! :tada::birthday::balloon::two_hearts::heart:

3 Likes

@Wendy

Interesting question because 2nd Grade was my first year in public school (K and 1st Grade in Catholic school).

Maybe I’m on the autism spectrum and schizophrenic.

2 Likes

Maybe, my sister says I’m autistic since I’m “just like” my autistic nephew. I think he’s actually schizophrenic, so whatever. Maybe he and I both have both, too.

1 Like

I would descibe myself as not ill.

2 Likes

I hope your day gets better. :balloon:

1 Like

I have seen myself without illness and would say I am intelligent, kind, giving, funny and emotionally mature.
Now I am all those things but it’s harder to see because I am a nutball

“How would you describe yourself/your life if you werent ill”

healthy

I always have felt a kinship with my students with Autism. When I initially sought an answer to what was “wrong” with me, I was tested by a psychologist for Aspergers. His conclusion was that I do not have Autism, and there was no follow-up… I was diagnosed with sz a year later at a different office…

1 Like

I can understand that. My nephew and I really understood one another when he was little (later my sister wasn’t talking to me, so we lost contact). I went to a neurologist hoping for an Asperger’s dx but he decided I had a brain injury instead; I already had a schizoaffective dx. He told me that I met the criteria to have Asperger’s but that since I’d not been diagnosed as a kid, I couldn’t have the dx. At least that’s what I remember; I could have misunderstood - I was not doing well.

I think this psychologist said something about my social awareness being an indicator of not having Autism. I thought that was funny because my social behaviors are learned and never came naturally.
But as soon as I was diagnosed with sz I knew it was correct. I’m not sure if Autism entails the waking nightmares and torment.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think that it does. It’s weird how the two dx share so many similarities, though. I always wondered about natural vs. learned in that context. We have a local with Asperger’s in his mid-20s and while I am sure he was taught many things about how to interact with others, it doesn’t seem he learned much. Granted, my sister corrected everything that crossed my nephew’s lips and he’s not difficult to deal with. This local guy is and he has a lot of problems with people (since this is an uneducated small town). It makes me wonder if standardized education could make a difference for Autistics… It seems that there is a huge range of social learning and being that its a problem area, it seems like more effort would be make to increase that kind of learning.

1 Like

I know that in specialized classes I’ve worked in there is social training. But more in some than others and it has to be consistent. On the spectrum, some people are more able to conform than others…

1 Like

A person who gets 9 hours of sleep regularly every night. But, aside from that, a person just like me.

Ahhh right. I’ve never been familiar with the education that autistics receive. I forget that like schizophrenics, autistics walk into life with different levels of functioning in addition to different talents and weaknesses and whatnot. I’m afraid I am one of those that tries to simplify life by imagining cookie-cutter existences but they don’t exist. I’ve wondered about social training for myself. I have a very hard time interacting.

1 Like

I still wonder what people talk about. I really don’t get it, but as long as the exchange is only a few seconds, I’m good. Part of my problem is that I forget what people have told me, so I can’t reference those things.
I remember in high school that I often heard other students complaining about things, so I started doing that too. It worked a little bit.
I’m more positive in my approach now, but I often get brushed off by people. I really don’t have it figured out.

They used to call me Satans Earlobe. Because anything I would hear in the streets would automatically get back to the boss and they would get dealt with.

1 Like