How were you at Maths?

I mean, I got an A in college calculus (only 10 percent got A’s).

1 Like

nice dude.

I took AP Calculus BC and AP Physics C w/out calculator. had to retake calculus.

still I got an A+ in Linear Algebra. also wrote advanced programs on TI calculator, like to calculate 3D volumes through integrals or whatever.

1 Like

I’ve always struggled with math and therefore hate math. I was relieved that my son is very good at math and never struggled. He took AP Statistics in high school but got bored and dropped out. He took the test anyway and got a 4 (perfect score is 5) God bless him :blush:

I’m not great at math but good enough to like basic number crunching.

I got a 750 on the quantitative portion of the SAT. First and only try. Still, I like proofs more than equations.

Calc +++

Multi-variable calc… ----

Calc… lots of immediate applications and reminders of situational use… very practical and fulfilling to learn.

Differential equations… just as many applications… but require a mastery of multi-var-calc to be able to grasp… totally theoretical and skipping all the proofs… they teach you archetypes and patterns in formula… and give you no tie in to all the uses it has… purely a math course… I failed it lol. Didn’t work with me…

Kind of pisses me off to the day…

Homogenous or linear… (wait did you say homo-genius?)… lol old humor cropping back up.

The sense I did make of it retrospectively is that… integrating and derivates have their own “algebra”… like an extension of the arithmetic within algebra to go beyond exponents and logarithms… but to include integrating and derivatives as that set…

Except solving each differential equations is like doing polynomial division or finding 3 or 4 roots of a (polynomial)^-3=(?)^3…

except even moreso… bahh I like math… I want to write an example.

1 Like

oh, come on. you’d rather solve PDEs than write axiomatic set theory proofs? Math Without Application 412 was my very favorite course in the department.

1 Like

in class, a boy saw that the abbreviation of “Analysis of Numerical Methods” was “ANAL METH”
and joked aloud about it.

real mature…

the reason I didn’t like college.

Yesh I would.:nerd:
Q.E.D.

1 Like

Man I’m more of an engineer… if I can’t use the equation for something practical than I don’t need it. It’s more a subconscious decision of interest.

I do get around to the theory eventually.

But mathematical jerking off with useless things… lol what’s the point.

They do come around sometimes where a randomly-arising previously purposeless mathematical relation finds use. (Say einstein’s field equations being completed by one of his mathematical divergences years beforehand in a totally unrelated and later accidentally discovered and applied whatever it was.)

Practical applications of differentials… Flow rates in home water filters… Craft weight over time and other various properties that effect the dynamics of motion and control. Rocket science in other words…

If you want to talk number theory or the pattern of primes or why standardizing all physical constants to one doesn’t work… that’s find…

but drawing the path from a to b… unless you realize it’s training for being able to more quickly understand how other undisclosed mathematical relations have been established.

Say f’(x) as lim h->0 of (f(x+dx)-f(x))/h can be shown that f’(x)=(x)(x^-1)/-1

where f(x)=x or whatever… the proof they guide you through. in calc… the pattern of a derivative. Apply scalar value of the exponent… decrement exponent… drop lone constants…

or the other one I was thinking of… like where the quadratic equation comes from…

It’s just complicated mathematical rearrangements… good exercise sure… without practical applications totally useless… I’d rather be pouring over all the properties of different materials and alloys or further trying to memorize the stable isotopes of the atoms… or learning for about the different tricks of physics that can be employed to create simple electronics… like capacitors, batteries, and transistors… or how electrolysis works… and how to separate pure hydrogen from water for long term storage.

I mean math has it’s uses… but damn dude there is so much more fulfilling things out there that feed my sense of connection and empowerment to the world.

Math is a tool… only worth what it’s used for. If math is an art to you or a sport and that fulfills you that’s cool. To me it’s just a means to an end.

this all derailing the thread so I’m going to break away and play some video games.

Happy Cake Day @Azley

2 Likes

I sucked at biology,chemistry and physics too;even more than maths. The last exams I did for them, at 15, I scored around 17% for each.

i was average! but then, my junior year, next thing i know i’m failing every class except my art class, and even that was lower than normal, i didn’t give a ■■■■ about any of it anymore, all i did was sit in class with headphones in and if they didn’t allow that i went to the office and sat in there until the next class that let me sit there doing nothing… that only lasted about a month, because i got really sick too, kinda makes me wonder if they relate, but so i dropped out.

I was always pretty good at maths. I was on track for a 1st (dunno how that translates in the US) in my degree in the first 2 years before going to hospital and dropping out. My arithmetic was only alright though, but then many of the people doing best on the course were piss poor at at arithmetic

I was good at maths, after schizophrenia music takes it place.

1 Like

Math? Nooooooo!

1 Like

“The wise choose death before math, but the wiser choose not to be born.”

just kidding

1 Like

I am not against anybodies love whether my parents.

1 Like

Hi aku how are u man …u r engineer u must be talented man…i believed all the science student are genius …i was in commerce always poor at maths…

I am not much talented, because every study tends to money, Upper limit infinity and no lower limit. Schizophrenia is equal to zero. So if money divided by infinite imagination causes schizophrenia.

1 Like