How do you grow up?

I still feel like a 14 y.o. I act like a child. I think having sz symptoms since 14-15y.o. prevented my brain from growing into an adult. Im childish. How do I grow up?

3 Likes

Alot of older people are still childish. “Grown up” is a hard thing to define.

1 Like

Yeah. I’m 61 and still probably childish.

2 Likes

@anon54988740 @Bowens

I am 30 y.o and still live with my parents. They control my money.

2 Likes

I’ve only lived with my parents for a few years but I’m 47 and live with my parents right now. I control my own money though. It’s kind of difficult to move out without controlling your money, even if you wanted to.

Do you want to live with your parents or no?

1 Like

Same. :pensive:
What will you do when your parents die?

2 Likes

I was living with my mom when I was 49. My psychiatric care provider handled my money until they decided I could manage it myself several years ago. My case manager rented the apartment I’m living in now when I was 49. Mom went to the nursing home two years later.

1 Like

I got sick at 21/22. With Aspergers I might be still childish and schizophrenia made me never live, experience, and grow up in life. I’m 31. I look 30 with all the crap I put into my body. I used to look much younger. My brain is like 80 years old from all the damage and my lungs are black.

1 Like

I feel that way too my family says im like a child i act mature when needed but i still come across as childish for some reason i dont like it.

4 Likes

I have a problem with spending money so I cant be trusted with money. They give me exactly the amount I need and I have to tell them what it is so they decide if its essential. No buying if its not essential.

2 Likes

They said they will give everything to my little brother and he will take care of me.

1 Like

What if he marries and want to have his family?

1 Like

Didnt you stop smoking? If you cant quit smoking force yourself to vape high nicotine salts 40-50mg/mL. I vape 40.

He said he will still take care of me, he’s smart and makes over 90 000$/year. I will live with one of my brothers in a triplex and the married brother will check up on me everyday. He’s nice with me.

3 Likes

Thank God for family, huh?

3 Likes

Yea I would be homeless or not taking meds (and dead) without my family.

3 Likes

Yeah, me too …

2 Likes

How were you able to manage money? You told them that you can and then they let you control your own money?

I didn’t ask them. My old case manager before he retired said he thought I could manage my own money and turned control over to me. He had been writing me a check once a month for groceries, gasoline, odds & ends, and I was successful at budgeting it for the month. He would give me the rent check to take to the landlord. My other bills I would give to him though.

3 Likes

Maybe I should try that having a case manager managing my money.

2 Likes