How do you feel about stigma on sz/sza?

Personally I couldn’t give a hooters about there pronocned stigma …

13 :cowboy_hat_face:

Like an eagle I hoofer above the human race

It makes me upset that Schizophrenia is something you’re expected to hide from other people through fear of discrimination.

We are not organised well enough, and have no representation.

Look at what happened in the UK with the Autism Act 2009. It took some major supporters to get political and they succeeded somewhat in raising awareness.

I do not hurt people and I am not a psychopath. I would like positive stories of recovery to be shared, rather than focusing on axe murderers

3 Likes

I hate the stigma against mental illnesses. I never tell anyone that I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder.

1 Like

I agree if I was able to go out of my house I wouldn’t like ppl to see me as a murderer. I mean its possible to be dangerous but the probability according to studies is less than 10% so most schizophrenics are not dangerous. For now it doesn’t bother me bcz I stay in bed all day everyday and never speak to anybody.

1 Like

Yeah we are way behind. The stigma is very real. I’ve lost or had to distance from many friends and even a church because of it.

I refuse to tell anyone outside my family or my medical people ever again.

1 Like

My mum refuses to accept my diagnosis.
She believes I have Aspergers and nothing else and that’s cause she thinks schizophrenia has stigma and it’s more acceptable to be autistic.

My family think I should not tell people unless needed.

I hate the stigma and when in a good mood share my diagnosis. Because I’m so “normal” I feel it helps erase some of the preconceived notions people have of the disease.

My boss/friend knew before she hired me. My kid’s school knows. All my fb friends know and I describe different ways the illness impacts my life.

And by appearing normal, I mean I can hide my symptoms. They’re mostly negative and when feeling weird I don’t interact with anyone.

1 Like

My mother says everyone that I have depression

2 Likes

Depends on how shitty I’m feeling.

I couldn’t give a ■■■■ right now, but if my grandma comes to me and says something awful I’d feel pretty pissed.

I can’t hide the condition from my future wife, it is just going to be that much harder to find one.

1 Like

I want to publish my book on my journey with mental illness. That’s how I feel - I want to break the stigma.

1 Like

Awesome
I’ve had to push through what people think about the illness because people are scared of what they don’t know and I have this delusion that when people know about my illness they attempt to make me feel bad or harass me or even make me feel shitty just because of how my mind works.
Personally they could all kiss my ass because I have a beautiful mind and I am an Eagle too
Strong
Free
Powerful

I feel that I have not assumed the stigma yet. I´m embarrased to let people know about it and I don´t let anyone know.

I still don´t want to confront the society regarding mental illness, will I change my mind with age? Idk…

Only close family and close friends know.
I only told them about it bcz I couldn’t hangout with them bcz of schizophrenia. I don’t feel comfortable outside my house.

The stigma is real even among family members and friends. I act normal, don’t reveal my sza, and don’t do anything so they can guess what is wrong with me. My husband and my relatives know and that is it. However, after my breakdown in 2018 half of the neighbors probably know.

Don’t expect the media to help out here. If it bleeds, it leads is the saying.

It’s Simple Really,

To Care or Not to Care What People Outside of Yourself Think.

Everyone Has Felt a Sort of Stigma at Least Once in Their Lives.

If Someone or a Group of Peoples Bother You, Frighten You, Threaten You,

Then Walk Away Peacefully.

Self Control, & Self Respect is All an Individual Needs to Overcome The Endless Obstacles,

That Wake up With us Each And Every Morning And or Night.

It isn’t Easy to Forgive And Forget.

But Nothing Worthwhile Ever is.

My doctors have labeled me with bipolar because schizoaffective is way too stigmatizing.

If you ask me stigma is an aid for people with disability. I know it sounds different than many but stigma is a good way of dealing with new found problems with your disability.