How do you feel about speaking and singing, using voice etc

i have alot of anxiety when i comes to speaking like i always think i sound weird and i talk quiet so people always have to ask me to repeat myself, but at the same time i think everyone can hear me when i am speaking like even people far away when in reality a person 5 feet away from me can barely hear me

another thing singing is even worse for me, i dont sing but i notice when i try my voice sounds nothing like how it does in my head, i wish i had the ability to sing but i am too anxious to try it,

maybe if i was somewhere where i knew i was completely alone and no one could hear me i might would try it but most of the time i feel i am always being listened to.

its weird tho that lately ive been learning different piano stuff by ear, and a few people have told me it is easier if you can sing it it makes it easier to find the notes, i want to try this but i get too anxious to so i usually end up feeling every note in the octave until it sounds right

2 Likes

My voice was suppressed.

My teacher told me to mime and not sing out loud like the rest of the class and when I spoke I was quitened down and I may not have a strong voice and be a pushover and to this day I don’t sing not usually even happy birthday song.

I think I suck at these things.

How amazing to be able to play the piano.

That’s lovely was for expression and outlet etc

2 Likes

I have to repeat myself a little bit. Anyway, i think i have a nice voice. I like to sing but i don’t totally control my voice.

1 Like

my speaking voice is fine. but my singing voice is not very good. don’t practice very much anymore, I think it would get better if I actually started singing again. was in the choir until I was in the 6th grade…but didn’t really like it. I thought it was too feminine for a boy so I just went to study hall 7th grade on. wish I would have joined band. o well such is life. do re mi fa so la ti do…do ti la so fa mi re do! haha.

3 Likes

What songs fit to your voice? And what do you like to sing?

3 Likes

im not sure. I don’t really sing much. when I sing along to music I know it kinds of sounds terrible. I have to sing in a lower key to sound decent and natural, without trying to do to much. I need a lot of work. haha.

3 Likes

I tend to speak too loudly or too softly. My singing voice used to be quite good , but is rather crap now.

2 Likes

singing can help you play if you play along. some have a god given talent like anything i suppose. But everyone has the ability to improve with singing or anything. I’m not expert. Just an intermediate player. but maybe like zilija said. just sing it quietly in your head or under your breath if you can’t sing alone?

1 Like

I was also singled out and told to mime in the school play, sometimes when I try to speak/reply to strangers in passing barely any noise comes out.

2 Likes

I took voice lessons and sang in a choir for a couple years. One of the first lessons I had was to keep my larynx down which the teacher had me practice by yawning and watching my Adams apple go down. It takes some practice to keep it down and not moving but that really helped open up my voice. The other major thing is using your abdomen instead of your chest for breathing. A third thing they have you focus on after mastering the first two things is getting resonance by making your head and nasal cavities vibrate more for a sharper sound.

Sometimes you can find a kind and affordable voice teacher by looking at community adult education programs or even checking out the business cards posted in cafes. You may even find an advanced college music student that might be willing to help you.

I still need to do more work on being a better singer and really enjoy using smule.com for karaoke.

This is how my voice sounds when I sing classical:

1 Like

I sung for many years in a choir, singing from 8 years old to about 19. Church Choir - singing magnificats in different settings and attending all the matins evensongs and complines. Was a wonderful childhood for me. Until i got a choirgirl pregnant - we were both 16 at the time. Choirmaster left after a lawsuit with the church over pay and the choir sorta just fell apart. Churchwarden was the girls mother - and got hated on after then. So much for forgiveness. I still have choral music playing most days now tho. Tho cannot sing - years of drinking and smoking weed put paid to that.

3 Likes

I’ve struggled with talking clear most of my life. Never been given diagnosis of a speech problem or anything. I think it was anxiety really really bad. I’m finally improving on this. People tell me I don’t talk loud enough a lot. Still, tho.

2 Likes

I started singing, publicly, at 3. My first song was My Country tis of Thee. Lol
I sang until I became MI and started smoking. Now that I’ve stopped, maybe, when I can tolerate the attention, … no, I probably won’t. My voice is forever changed.
I’m not saying never, though.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.