Schizophrenia.com

‘Healthy living’ programme fails to lower BMI in overweight psychosis patients

medwireNews: A “healthy living” intervention focused on exercise and diet has failed to impact body mass index (BMI) in overweight people with psychosis when evaluated in the setting of a randomised controlled trial.

The INTERACT study found that changes in BMI and waist circumference over a 12-month period were not significantly different between people assigned to the intervention and those given usual care.

INTERACT (INTERvention to Encourage ACTivity, Improve Diet, and Reduce Weight Gain) included 105 patients diagnosed with schizophrenia, schizophreniform disorder, schizoaffective disorder, delusional disorder, brief reactive psychosis or psychosis not otherwise specified.

They were randomly assigned to receive the intervention plus treatment as usual or just treatment as usual.

The intervention drew on Leevanthal’s Common Sense Model and had both motivational and behavioural components. Participants received seven individual psychoeducation sessions over a 6-month period, followed by a booster session, and were offered access to activities such as football, walking, cycling and cooking. They also received written information and advice.

http://www.medwirenews.com/47/105350/Psychiatry/Healthy_living_programme_fails_to_lower_BMI_in_overweight_psychosis_patients_.html

Well its really not a surprise given what most people on AP psychotics know, that they make you fat.

Personally, my theory is that we’re too tense to assimilate food well.

I eat lot of raw vegetables, and i work out, i lost 25lb. I don’t want to loose more weight or gain some. With this life style i have more chances of loosing more weight than gaining.

Anti-psychotics definitely cause weight gain. I gained a lot of weight after I started anti-psychotics. It took extreme dieting to lose it.

‘Fake obesity experts’ 4 minute clip