Have you seen late onset (late 30’s or 40s or older) with multiple years of florid psychosis and late alcoholism recover?

i think this is the 2 halves of the reason I’ve given up hope for my sister

Late onset has a much higher likelihood of recovery. Having an addiction complicates things. You never really know until they get treatment.

2 Likes

I actually have seen one person who fits this description, but only one. Met him in AA about a decade back. Late onset SZ and he used booze to self-medicate. He got his SZ under control with proper APs and then attended the program to dry out. We’re no longer in touch as this was someone I met at F2F meetings in southern Alberta, but he was doing very well when we last bumped into each other. Had a few years of sobriety under his belt.

1 Like

She has been in psychosis for 7 years… late onset seems to be pretty extreme in her case
Other drugs will have massively contributed found old heroin paraphernalia in an art book recently from a few years ago, but that is not her whole problem, it seems to be something she has mostly kept from me

I wish I could help her
With my mother disabled from caring maybe I should be her main support in terms of responsibility

Impossible to help her
Most interactions end in argument or a non verbal stalemate
She does not recognise me as someone she should respect
And she has delusions that make seeing my husband impossible

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.