Have you had a job you hated but we're unable to get a better one

I worked in a factory for 14 years and I hated it so much. It was very boring and a dead end job, I was suicidal almost all the time I worked there, I would look at the jobs in the job centre window, but I could never find a full time job that I could do.

3 Likes

Factory? I would prefer to live in a homeless shelter.

1 Like

I hated factory work, too, though I did it for only a few months. I once spent years working at a 7-eleven, absolutely hated it, especially with all of my education going to waste, but I couldn’t get anything better at the time and had zero confidence in my ability to do a more challenging job. I eventually got a part-time teaching job seven years ago, so I was able to scale back 7-eleven to part-time, but still did it for years until two and a half years ago when I started at the pharmacy, a much more challenging job. Now I’m on the verge of starting a new job as a hospital pharmacy tech, much better job with much better pay and benefits. It has taken many years (going back to 2008’s psychotic break), but I have gradually rebounded to something better :slight_smile:. Just hope nothing screws this up for me, like another psychotic break; I don’t think I could start over again.

2 Likes

Has any of you seen the movie “The Machinist” ? With Christian Bale…

1 Like

Yes, perhaps not as bad as you, but yes

The fact is, that in the western world, unless you have a good safety network (state services, community, family), you are going to “have to” have a job.

Are you sure you haave no other options?

I unloaded trucks for four years. I hated it but I never did anything about it. Overall, it was actually a good experience. I started when I was 33 years old within a year I was outworking a bunch of 19 and twenty year olds. A lot of people liked me there. My co-workers were all assholes who I didn’t like too much and I got pleasure from making them look bad by showing how lazy and what bums they were.but the salesmen were cool and they all liked me because when they sold big ticket items like air conditioners and refrigerators I made them all look good by going up to the second floor to move the stuff they sold and load it in the customers cars promptly. The bums I worked with, who had no disabilities by the way, were slow and lazy and it would take them twice as long to load items.

2 Likes

I volunteered for a year and a half at a nature center. I was abused by the staff a lot. I asked for a job once and they were very rude to me. They had me doing unfair jobs. Towards the end I starting skipping days…until one day I just didn’t go back…that was the 17th of 30th time I gave up on life completely. Lol screw them. They stole the vultures egg and 10 minutes later had me clean the vultures cage. She was pecking at my leg the whole time. Screw that stuff!!! Hated them.

Ya i seen it what are you getting at?

Work sucks but so does disability. Miswell do both idk

My job was worse than this one.

I worked at a hotel for years at the front desk. The clientele was questionable which made it quite stressful. I could have left at any point for another job but my delusion made me think I had to stay or I would pay for it. I ended up getting fired for giving a room to a friend for free which was a blessing in disguise because I finally got out of there. Near the end I felt like I was getting an ulcer from the stress of working there.

I did clerking job for 13 years. But I love helping nature of my wife.

1 Like

factory work is not bad if they don’t run it based on parts per hour… my last factory job was run on completing projects within the allotted time… so you may spend several months on one job going from blue prints to fabrication to prep and assembly and finally loading the product up to be shipped off… I would still be working there if they didn’t force me to paint… industrial painting is not something im good at… I did paint a bunch of bugs though… I found a dead preying mantis and painted it baby blue…once it dried it was pretty and the joints still bent so you could pose it…

1 Like