Flu, pneumonia vaccinations tied to lower risk of Alzheimer's dementia

At least one flu vaccination was associated with a 17% reduction in Alzheimer’s incidence. More frequent flu vaccination was associated with another 13% reduction in Alzheimer’s incidence.

Vaccination against pneumonia between ages 65 and 75 reduced Alzheimer’s risk by up to 40% depending on individual genes.

The researchers found that pneumococcal vaccination between ages 65-75 reduced risk of developing Alzheimer’s by 25-30% after adjusting for sex, race, birth cohort, education, smoking, and number of G alleles. The largest reduction in the risk of Alzheimer’s (up to 40%) was observed among people vaccinated against pneumonia who were non-carriers of the risk gene. Total number of vaccinations against pneumonia and the flu between ages 65 and 75 was also associated with a lower risk of Alzheimer’s

2 Likes

Wah! That’s a really good find. I’ll be getting vaccinated when/if I get to 65 for sure.

1 Like

Maybe even younger.

The researchers found the protective association between the flu vaccine and the risk of Alzheimer’s was strongest for those who received their first vaccine at a younger age — for example, the people who received their first documented flu shot at age 60 benefitted more than those who received their first flu shot at age 70.

I don’t think they offer the pnuemonia vaccine til later in life but a lot of countries offer the flu vaccine to more people.

1 Like

I might start getting the flu shot from next year then … I’ve never had one before.

1 Like

I forgot to bookmark it, but there was also a study that people who had the flu shot were less likely to have a severe course of COVID-19.

It didn’t change the liklihood of contracting it, but the illnesses were less likely to be severe.

I don’t remember if they controlled for people having both flu and COVID at the same time, but man that would suck.