Father and ASD

Well got email back from my dad. According to him-

There seem to be few if any characteristics of you as a child up to age 8 on which could provide evidence that would be supportive of a diagnosis of autism

I don’t know whether this is because there are no signs or a case of a parent not wanting to accept a child of their’s may be on the spectrum. It certainly contrasts with my sister scoring me 165 on the RAADS-R at aspie tests. Cut off for ASD is 65.

He added that he’d always seen me as being at the high potential end of any scale. As I have mentioned probable learning difficulties before on Facebook I get the impression he may be in denial.

1 Like

I was diagnosed with Aspergers 10 years ago, but I don’t have it.
I am now diagnosed with Avoidant Personality Disorder, but I have symptoms of the cluster A personality disorders as well.
When we are diagnosed with asd when we are adults, we don’t really get any support from anyone anyway.

3 Likes

Throughout my life my mother would regularly say I was an awkward baby/toddler/child/teenager etc . I guess she must have had a reason for saying that even if as a blunt statement it wasn’t very supportive.

Yeah sounds like denial.

My daughter used to bark like a dog in public. Omg :astonished: it was so embarrassing. She also used to peal the paint off her bathroom walls and roll it into little balls. And even though I showed her several times how to wash her hair her hair was often dirty. She was diagnosed with ADHD

She was on the sidelines at a soccer game once and started barking. I can’t remember if the coach told her to stop barking or I did. I had a hard time with that child.

Parents don’t like to think of there being things wrong with their kids. It took my parents the longest time to accept my mental illness.

1 Like

My Dad still sees me as this really intelligent person who’s socially and in other ways highly functional. The reality I have chronic and severe social interaction difficulties. According to a pdoc I have very poor social skills. I am much better verbally than non-verbally. Have executive functioning deficits,especially organising and planning. Have care help to, as my care plan says, help me to remain living independently in my flat . I’ve never worked.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.