False positives on drug tests?

I am given random drug tests at work & I found out I failed for Amphetamines. I couldn’t reach my pdoc, so I researched online. It looks like my antipsychotic can give a false positive for Amphetamines or methamphetamine. But I don’t know if what I read is accurate. Anyone exoerience this before? I take Wellbutrin, serquel, lamictal & lorazepam

Sure looks like it’s true.

Thank you. I tried the link, but says I have to be a member (register) to see website content. Can you let me know what it said?

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/726897

You don’t have to be a member, just close the pop up box and you can read it all.
or read from the
American Journal of Health-System PharmacyCommonly Prescribed Medications and Potential False-positive Urine Drug ScreensNancy C. Brahm; Lynn L. Yeager; Mark D. Fox; Kevin C. Farmer; Tony A. PalmerDisclosuresAm J Health Syst Pharm. 2010;67(16):1344-1350.

Abstract

Purpose. The implications of potential false-positive urine drug screen (UDS) results for patients receiving commonly prescribed medications were evaluated.
Summary. A comprehensive literature review was conducted to identify false-positive UDSs associated with all clinic formulary medications, as well as common nonprescription medications. The references of each report describing a medication whose use was associated with false-positive UDS results were also reviewed. If a class effect was suspected, additional agents in the category were searched. A total of 25 reports of false-positive UDS results were identified. Categories of medications included antihistamines, antidepressants, antibiotics, analgesics, antipsychotics, and nonprescription agents. Reports of false-positive results were found for the following formulary and nonprescription medications brompheniramine, bupropion, chlorpromazine, clomipramine, dextromethorphan, diphenhydramine, doxylamine, ibuprofen, naproxen, promethazine, quetiapine, quinolones (ofloxacin and gatifloxacin), ranitidine, sertraline, thioridazine, trazodone, venlafaxine, verapamil, and a nonprescription nasal inhaler. False-positive results for amphetamine and methamphetamine were the most commonly reported. False-positive results for methadone, opioids, phencyclidine, barbiturates, cannabinoids, and benzodiazepines were also reported in patients taking commonly used medications. The most commonly used tests to screen urine for drugs of abuse are immunoassays, even though false-positive results for drugs of abuse have been reported with a number of these rapid-screening products. Results from such tests should be confirmed using additional analytical methods, including gas chromatography–mass spectrometry.
Conclusion. A number of routinely prescribed medications have been associated with triggering false-positive UDS results. Verification of the test results with a different screening test or additional analytical tests should be performed to avoid adverse consequences for the patients.

Ty so mich! I registered on their website. But could not find what you referred to found at attached, thank you. Thank you, to infinity& breyond!! Toy story reference! I’m showing my age!

It’s Seroquel. I have that too. I always tell the test-lady that Seroquel can make a false positive on methamphetamine. She knows this by now. We have drug tests at work 6 times/year because we drive cars and the employer wants to be sure noone drives drunk or high.

1 Like

Is there documentation I can give to prove it

http://www.fass.se/LIF/product?5&userType=2&nplId=20071105000053&docType=7

It is in Swedish.

Metadon is a narcotic substance. Seroquel can give a false positive on that.

Maybe you could use google translate on the page. It is at the end of section 2, just above number 3. Copy paste the text to google translate. Show that page I linked to so your employer or testlab can check them selves.

All approved medicines in Sweden can be found on that page.

1 Like

Thank you so very much for going out of your way for me!

I got a false positive for hepatitus at the plasma center because of Haldol. I read in a book that Haldol can give you a false positive for that. Now I can’t donate blood free of charge or for money because I’m on the list of people who can’t donate.

No problems. I had read it myself, I knew where to find the information. I hope it will help you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used to snort lorazepam so I got off it, you’re on controlled substances get off em bro…

I learned certain infections an give false positives for cocaine use; such as liver disease.

Apparently Seroquel can cause this according to @Comatose. But honestly, considering that Wellbutrin and amphetamine are way more pharmacologically similar that Seroquel and amphetamine, I would wager it was the Wellbutrin.

Thank you. I see my pdoc soon & hope they csbsged shed some light on this