False memory

I remember a song being played constantly by a friend I had until the year before the song was actually released. It was 30 years ago and was before my first episode and ECT. I have always associated the song with him but I must be mistaken but I was so damn sure. A lot of songs I know are a bit fluid how I remember them moving around a few years but this one has surprised me when I found out. Anyone else who had ECT had a strong memory glitch like this?

2 Likes

I’ve never had ect but I’ve experienced some similar though not so obvious time things like that. Im thinking there’s got to be an explanation.

1 Like

I’ve never had ECT, but I was friends with this guy in a mental hospital who’d had it. The procedure worked wonders for his mood and general affability. However, I think it hurt his cognition. He showed me this story he was writing, and it was only marginally coherent, if it was that coherent. I’m pretty sure the guy had more native intelligence than what came forth in his writing. They say that around 20% of people who get ECT are damaged cognitively by it. Sometimes I think ECT might be a good option for me. To hell with all my wonderful cognition. Like Dostoyevsky said, “Too much consciousness is a disease”.

2 Likes

In your case, the timeline was messed up. The song still exists, your friend probably sang it, just not before its release.

In my case, fake memories were inserted or created.
I remember clear as day how somebody (an ex classmate) is telling me that we live in a game called Second Life, wherein all efforts are geared towards creating a Messiah.
Only it never happened. I even confronted the guy and he denied (rightfully so).

1 Like

Thanks for your replies guys. I’ve seen some notes from a guy who has mental illness @crimby about some inventions and they were barely coherent. It was a similar shock to what you had as he is normal on the surface. @Andrey that sounds spooky. There is a game called Second Life just not about creating a Messiah but I’m sure you know that.

2 Likes

Yes I know about the game. Never played it.

Yes I’ve had around 100 treatments over the course of 20 years and my memory is permanently affected.

1 Like