Eating disorders and psychosis

While treating women with psychotic illness, I noticed that many of my patients, in addition to their psychosis, had eating disorders (anorexia and binge eating) and I wondered whether my prescription of antipsychotic drugs was responsible. I knew that these drugs led to increased appetite and weight gain, which could provoke a counter reaction, ie, a drive to be thin.

The neuroscientist and author Erin Hawkes—who was treated for schizophrenia with olanzapine—writes about how her bulimia subsequently intensified:

I was put on olanzapine. Terrible mistake: I was, within two months, 137 pounds of (in my opinion) fat. My purging went wild. . . . Olanzapine gave me a ravenous appetite. . . . Thus, purging became all-important.1

She is not the only person to have made the connection between antipsychotic medication and increased eating disorder symptoms. Olanzapine and clozapine in particular have been implicated in medication- induced bingeing secondary to antipsychotic drug intake.2,3

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/special-reports/eating-disorders-and-psychosis/page/0/1

2 Likes

I was prescribed olanzipine not long after cure of an eating disorder. I had learned to live without the disorder, yet still ended up discontinuing use of it solely because of weight gain. However, I did not recommence the eating disorder.
Could that be a result of the medicine or as result of living without the disorder?
I don’t know, but I do know that my somatic delusion of being overweight did cease with the olanzipine

Zyprexa kind of resolved my eating disorder, still there are a lot of things that remained. I’m obsessed with my weight.