Do you talk about it?

Your odd beliefs and hallucinations with other people?

Starting to just wanna keep it to myself because sharing doesn’t seem to do much anyway besides maybe scare the person

2 Likes

I learned to keep them to myself. For me, talking about it leads to thinking more about it, which leads to perseverating about it leads to it consuming my life. I put a hard stop on those types of conversations, and also a hard stop on letting myself continue thinking about it.

3 Likes

I am not like many people here, in that often times I am completely free of psychotic symptoms, except maybe some paranoia. I’m usually all in or all out of psychosis. I’ve been at the in between stages for brief periods , but these are usually transitioning periods back and forth to my destination of either psychotic or psychosis free.

When I’m psychotic, I tend to hide a lot of it now because I’ve learned what people do when they think your in psychosis.

When I’m not psychotic, I am very open about previous delusions and have probably shared just about all of them here at one time or another.

2 Likes

The last time I did that was when I was in the hospital (2014ish). I blabbed to other patients and also to my brother about my unusual beliefs. And some of the nurses too.

If I were to talk about them now to someone, I’d feel like I was showing a card trick to a dog :dog2:.

1 Like

Having this illness has changed me, I can’t think for myself. Cause of what people may think mainly. From now on it’s going to be different.

1 Like

But your question yes and no, depends what the situation is and what is the best outcome for both

1 Like

No I don’t share it much. It doesn’t do me any good to share my symptoms with others. What good would that do? It’s never served me well anyway. Or maybe I’m being too paranoid. Not sure what to think.

1 Like

How do I even ask for support if I shouldn’t talk about it? I am kind of over therapists I was in therapy most of my adulthood so far and I’m just not benefitting anymore besides having someone to talk to about psychosis I guess, even then idk if it helped much. I just need support from the people around me but idk what kind

1 Like

I talked to my daughter about my way off beliefs and hallucinations, now she doesn’t speak to me anymore and won’t let me see my grandchildren. Sucks

4 Likes

I am willing to share one of my odd, yet hilarious specific part of my symptoms.

Only to those who know my diagnosis.

And that’s not many people.

That aside,

No.

They probably wouldn’t want to be around me.

1 Like

Nope.

There’s no point. It would just make people think I’m backsliding.

And I’m hallucinating constantly. Voice all day every day.

1 Like

I rumminate and perservate to the point I annoy people and they just think I’m a paranoid now. I’m written off or ignored now.

2 Likes

Sometimes it helps to talk to my Mom sometimes she can offer a different point of view

1 Like

I only open up to my care team. Most times it’s helpful for me. Just sucks to have religious delusions and a religious case manager. He triggered my delusions 3 weeks ago and I’m still suffering for it.

2 Likes

No. Apart from psychiatrist. And details he is not interested into.

1 Like

I started talking to someone weekly two months ago. I mostly talk about addiction. If my delusions bothered me I would definitely talk them out with him.

1 Like

I learned this one! You describe the way the thing negatively impacts you, then ask for help with that.

Real example of how I use it: sometimes I have overwhelming memories of traumatic events. Talking about them leads to more time spent in the memories. Instead, I am supposed to say things like “I am feeling extra touch-averse right now. I am finding it harder than usual to start tasks. I am spending too much time with my thoughts.”

Then, my support people have real goals they can help me with. They can help me write the steps of a task so I can start it. They can avoid touching me. They can do fun activities with me and change the subject when I start perseverating (and my part of this is not getting angry when they change the subject because I know that is what I asked them for).

People get frustrated when they don’t know what to do for a loved one. Once they know what to do, it is easier to offer meaningful support.

3 Likes

Yeah I think a big problem for me is not knowing what will help. Talking about it is tempting but doesn’t really help much besides knowing someone knows what’s going on I guess, beyond that people ask how to help and I just say i don’t know.

2 Likes

Maybe what you need help with is figuring out realistic, sustainable ways to receive support?

2 Likes

True that. That’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while

1 Like