Do u think anxiety can be a crisis

I called a hotline because I was having severe anxiety and first they told me I didn’t sound like I was having anxiety then they told me to call back when I had a crisis. To me I was having a crisis.

How are you supposed to sound? For me it’s often an internal thing -inner apprehension maybe I’ll stutter a little or stumble over my words but as for a quavery voice…

1 Like

I hate the sort of hierarchy of symptoms that some health workers hold in regards to mental health. For me anxiety is a feeling like I am going to die - the feeling of impending doom. Many times I have asked for help for this. The usual response I get is to put a cd on or something to distract me. Or worse they assume you are trying it on to get a recreational supply of benzos.

If mental health was treated on par with physical health anxiety should be treated like acute severe pain ie immediate treatment with a cut and dried anxiety management protocol. Something like the analgesic pathway for physical pain.

I don’t mean exclusively with meds - I just want my mental anguish to be considered equal to physical pain.

1 Like

My therapist gave me the telephone number to the local Hospital crisis Hotline.

She told me to call whenever I get very Anxious and having a Freak Out.

Having severe Anxiety is a crisis.

1 Like

Anxiety most definetly can be a crisis. When I become anxious, psychotic symptoms are not far behind. I usually start hearing voices which cause my anxiety to get worse, which in turn, make my symptoms worse. I am sorry to hear that the hotline you called did not take you seriously.

1 Like

From my experience, those people working at those places don’t really know how to do their jobs very well.

1 Like

Well, it certainly feels like a crisis at the time. Panic attacks are heavy. I compare myself to a lighthouse in a storm.

1 Like

It sounds to me like those crisis workers were just lazy. You should have asked them if they had a bunch of other crisises. If they did, tell them you’ll call back later. If not, why in the hell won’t they talk to you?

For me… anxiety usually triggers the panic attack… that usually triggers the head circus…

Yes… anxiety can definitely be a crisis…

I’m sorry you got the brush off…