Cutting your own hair with hair clippers

I’ve ordered some hair clippers. I’m going to “cut” my own hair.

Has anyone else done this?

What should I be aware of? Any pitfalls?

5 Likes

It’s really not quite the problem if you think about it it makes logical sense you would save an average of about $250 one thing I found is that I use certain size spacers to get a good outcome currently using 5/8 the hardest part is not cutting the hair but the back of the neck this requires two mirrors one in front and one in back the Tremor on your electric shaver works better for trimming that up another thing is when you shave make sure you shave it a cross pattern as the sole not miss any lying down hairs thank you for your time

2 Likes

Trimming around the ears and the back is a bugger.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice Drzen.

2 Likes

I shave my own hair close to being bald with a Wahl hair clipper. I use a barber’s haircut mirror along with a bathroom mirror to see if I have cut all the hair in the back of my head and behind the ears. After a shower and going to sleep on the pillow with a close to shaved hair is very comfortable.

3 Likes

My sister cut my hair for me. She did a pretty good job.

4 Likes

I’ve been cutting my own hair for years. I use a shaver with various clip sizes.

I bought the same style shaver and clips as my old barber.

I get my brother/mother to do the back because its hard to coordinate the clipper while holding a mirror in your other hand looking into the mirror on the wall to see the back of your head, but I have done it when I had too…

The first couple times are a learning experience so don’t be hard on yourself if you screw up.

I us the 1.5 inch clip, then there is a little adjuster on the shaver that lets you make it longer. So it is set to about 2 inches. I “shave” my head at 2 inches on the top, then the back and sides around my ears I use a 3/4 inch clip.

Turns out pretty good. In fact I do such a good job now my brother and father started asking me to cut their hair too.

2 Likes

I cut my own hair a few times. I found that people often commented that it looked professoinal or that they liked my hair. I cut it sort of short and choppy with longer length in the front than the back. The last time my hair was cut was done by me.

3 Likes

I buzz my own hair using clippers.
Yeah buzzing the back of my head is tough but I’m finally catching on.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice guys.

I ordered handheld mirror to go with the clippers, so I can see the back of my head, when combined with the bathroom mirror.

Also I made sure the clippers were cordless/rechargeable to more easily cut the back.

2 Likes

I have been cutting my own hair with a pair of scissors for about 23 years with no problems at all.

2 Likes

I had to do this when COVID hit. All the barbershops were closed. I still have the clippers but I am back to the barber. My first pass looked pretty rough. I keep my hair short.

2 Likes

I find that if I do it badly my wife gets frustrated and trims it for me.

#winning

:blush:

2 Likes

I shaved my hair off and I regretted it big time

3 Likes

I’m balding so I buzz all of my hair off! Have a small mirror for the back.

2 Likes

Had to buzz my hair off during covid as no shops were open. I don’t mind paying the $13 plus tip for someone to do it quickly and properly for me.

But like folks have been saying the back can be a challenge even if you bring it down to the skin.

1 Like

I shaved my head once, not bald, but really really short. I regretted it too.I don’t really know why I did it. I once had long hair down to my shoulders, but most of my life I’ve had regular length hair for a guy. One day I decided just to see what it would be like shaved, instantly regretted it.

Wahl is a good brand of clippers. Use a nose trimmer to do around the ears. Use a hand held mirror with bathroom mirror. Take your time and do a good job or it will show.

1 Like

I cut my entire family’s hair. For the guys, the ears are the worst. Just be sure to bend them down when cutting so you can get close and not nick them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.