Best exercise to get heart rate up with the least amount of muscle work?

I know that’s a bit beyond the scope of the topic but what’s the goal here? Aka is there a why to this resolution or is it just something you have set your mind to because?

If the focus is on weight loss, forget about heartrate and just walk if you have the time to spare.

If the focus is on improved cardiovascular health choose based on what you like to do and find convenient. Some examples can be stairs, cycling, running, skipping rope, swimming(although I wouldn’t advise it because despite being great under many metrics the amount of time and commitment is way beyond any other form of cardio unless you happen to own a pool, aka you are likely setting yourself up for failure if you pick swimming). If this is all the training you do your muscles will not be a limiting factor, it may take you a while to get things in motion but muscle soreness improves a lot when put under similar stressors. If you go to the Gym you might want to try the elliptical but literally any cardio machine will do. If you pick something with high impact your joints are likely going to become a limiting factor much more significant than your muscle recovery in the long term.

At the end of the day my advice would be to pick more than one option, for example while swimming is generally unadvisable for the commitment if you were to go for something like running or cycling it can leverage a more rested upper body and give you more time to recover. You don’t have to pick one and do that one and that one only, especially if you want to train everyday. If your legs are sore and you can’t run you can probably drop your ass into a pool and use those arms. Remember also that your body adapts to training, if your recovery can’t handle higher volumes of training right now, work your way up, however you decide to do it.

2 Likes

Ive been intermittent fasting and jogging along a river footpath every day for the last week. Feeling soooo much better in so many ways. And i went from around 108kgs to 102kgs in that time. Which can be too much loss too quickly but its been needed for years. Cant wait to get slim again!

2 Likes

Row machine is great as well!

3 Likes

It turns out I owe a small amount on fed taxes but am.getting a small refund on state taxes. So essentially net zero.

3 Likes

Check your child’s weekly report card. :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

Mine always had As expect for math. Achilles heel, that.

I do upper body exercises called isometrics…all you do is clasp your hands together, then with your arms out stretched in front of you…do a “barbel” like curl on one arm with one arm pushing “down” and the other hand pushing “up”…then after you tire the bicep receiving arm. switch the “up and down” pushing with each hand and tire out the other bicep.