Avoiding artificial sweeteners

Sure they may produce more food and bigger food, but it’s genetically altered… so at what cost is all this? The health concerns and the effects it has on other crops and the environment, causing insects and other plants to mutate in response to the unnatural genetically altered plants.
It may taste same in some cases, but we can’t go by taste…some strait poison might taste good or smell good too.
And, to produce those extra bushels more resources are actually going into the crop to keep it going, including harmful chemicals: pesticides, herbicides, etc…
More isn’t always better…in most cases it’s good to have less but with the assurance of purity and quality.
And organic could still feed everyone if that’s all there was…

You’re freaking out over nothing. Monsanto has nothing on Gaia when it comes to going ass wild with plant level genetic tampering…

Plants regularly and randomly swap genetic material. That’s part of their design, and it’s a feature rather than a bug. Another word for it is biodiversity. It prevents monocultures from happening. No one worries about it because it – for the most part – has posed no safety issues. And we’re talking over centuries.

10-96

Huge difference between what nature does and what man does. proven fact on many levels the GMO is harmful…

Your link leads here by the way

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

And back to this question

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/08/health/vermont-gmo-labeling/

Also,
“The U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service approved a non-GMO label for meat and liquid egg products in June, the first time the department has approved such a label from a third party.”

And furthermore,

The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) doesn’t think so. The Academy reported that “Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food,” including infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, faulty insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system. The AAEM asked physicians to advise patients to avoid GM foods.
Before the FDA decided to allow GMOs into food without labeling, FDA scientists had repeatedly warned that GM foods can create unpredictable, hard-to-detect side effects, including allergies, toxins, new diseases, and nutritional problems. They urged long-term safety studies, but were ignored.

your getting caught up in sensationalist/extremist views

Everybody take it easy! This thread is getting huge and I haven’t read half of it, but I might have a solution.

Stevia is supposed to be harmless and I might switch to it.

I’m going to create a tea thread, so we can discuss sweeteners in there for tea purposes.

Not extremist…just research and truth. Like 77Nick posted awhile back…“We could each find dozens of articles supporting our point of view.”

And, that is just what people have done. One little problem we run into though is when there is evidence that some of the studies supporting the use and alleged safety of aspartame and other sweeteners has been deliberately altered, people were paid off, bullied, etc. When someone goes to such lengths to alter research findings then they must be trying to hide something…
This is actually a good thread to learn about the subject of artificial sweeteners…

Well, in its natural form it would be fine, even good for you, but like humans always seem to do they want to ‘refine’ things which means some stuff gets processed out and other stuff (usually bad) gets processed in

“Stevia extracts go through a refining process that involves approximately 40 steps and the addition of know carcinogenic ingredients, such as acetone, methanol, acetonitrile, and isopropanol. The result is a highly processed, and possibly carcinogenic, sugar substitute that has been linked to liver mutation, fertility problems, and disruptions in energy metabolism.”

http://www.realfarmacy.com/fact-or-myth-is-stevia-bad-for-you/

Here, read this one…Looks like if you grow your own you will have good pire Stevia, but the Stevia on the market is filled with additives… :frowning:

http://www.drfranklipman.com/stevia-good-or-bad/

But you can still use it…just takes a little research and/or work

“How To Choose The Right Kind Of Stevia
Luckily there are ways to enjoy this sweet leaf closer to it’s natural state… because let’s be honest, the no-calorie artificial sweeteners out there are really dreadful, and no one should consume them (check this post for the low down on those). So here’s what you can do:
Buy a stevia plant for your garden (luckily it’s totally legal!) or purchase the pure dried leaves online – you can grind up them up using a spice grinder (or use a mortar and pestle) for your own powdered stevia.
When choosing products already sweetened with stevia, look for “whole leaf stevia” on the ingredient label. For example my favorite protein powder is made with “whole stevia leaf” instead of rebaudioside a or stevia extract.
Add fresh or dried leaves directly to tea or drinks for natural sweetness (note the straight stevia leaves are only 30-40 times sweeter than sugar, vs. 200 times using the extract).
Make your own liquid stevia extract (see graphic below for recipe).”

If you are not up for getting a stevia plant of your own or making your own extract, remember to look for a stevia extract that is 100% pure without added ingredients (Trader Joe’s has a version in a small bottle).
And when all else fails, choose a suitable alternative and forget stevia altogether. Lisa uses honey and pure maple syrup, and I personally prefer coconut palm sugar, since it is low glycemic (making it more diabetic friendly) and one of the most natural unprocessed forms of sugar available. It is naturally high in amino acids – has 10,000 times more potassium, 20 times more magnesium and 20 times more iron than conventional sugar.

1 Like

Yes but you are still under the assumption that they are being paid off without hard evidence of bribery. It is speculation. A possibility though

And things like this…

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-07/monsanto-sued-on-behalf-of-farmers-over-modified-wheat.html

http://www.nationofchange.org/monsanto-pays-93-million-victims-settlement-1330446939

Monsanto tentatively agreed to a $93 million settlement with some residents of Nitro, West Virginia. Nitro is a small town that got its name from manufacturing explosives during WWI. It was also the site of a Monsanto chemical plant that manufactured 2,4,5-T herbicide that was half of the Agent Orange recipe. Herbicide 2,4,5-T was contaminated with the caustic by-product dioxin. This settlement may open the floodgates to successfully suing Monsanto for its poison.

This subject is a conspiracy theorist’s wet dream.

1 Like

I’m actually marketing a new design for tin foil hats that protect against gmo products if you are interested :slight_smile:

I’l check out Trader Joe’s the next time I’m in Baton Rouge. I’ll just leave one for my parents too.

Tin foil hats would be useless… however, a tin foil KITCHEN might work ! LOL

Truthfully, the only protection against GMO is to eat sensibly which means reading labels and doing research… Even some organic foods have some questionable things snuck in…

2 Likes

haha nice! , agreed

Of course the ultimate scenario is you get so hung up about what might have been done to the food that you’re too scared to eat, and then GMO/sweeteners will be the least of your problems

1 Like

Nah, I eat tons, and try to go organic or local grown. There’s plenty of good stuff out there…