Astronomy thread

Gravity is like someone out there calling us. It’s all very exciting.

3 Likes

Did you know that outer space smells strange (sort of burnt metallic)?

3 Likes

did someone draw a face on the moon? i thought maybe the americans did it when they landed in the 60’s either that or they did it with a rover, i am positive that there is a face on the moon and it changes its expression sometimes. i also worry that they knocked it out of balance when they stepped on it, strange but true

thats pretty cool

http://www.furnation.com/Atara/moon.html

3 Likes

never seen that before

1 Like

The ship pushes the fuel back. The fuel pushes the ship forward. Equal and opposite forces. You don’t need gravity or a surface to push off of because the fuel and the ship act as that surface.

2 Likes

Haha they tried to recreate the smell. You think they will ever make it available as a cologne?

@Teo, so it’s pushing off of itself?

1 Like

and if you slingshot a sun then you can even go back in time lol

1 Like

Soooorrrt offf. It’s not a closed system if that’s what you’re asking. You’re literally throwing fuel behind you to push yourself forward.

Think of it this way. When you stand, you and the earth act as one object. Thats why the earth doesn’t move without you. If you were to jump, you are pushing the earth away from you to push yourself away from the earth.

The fuel rocket thing is the same just on a smaller scale. You push the fuel away so the fuel pushes you away.

1 Like

So this sounds more like when one object pushes against another, the other pushes back. Eventually the force they push against each other with equates if I remember correctly. This sounds like what they taught me in school.

1 Like

Exactly. Same law different but with different wording. Newtons 3rd law.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m surprised they didn’t teach us about how it related to space travel. The history of it seems interesting. What were they thinking when they finally went into space? Did they have the same question as @PinCushion when they finally got a rocket into space? I wonder.

1 Like

Yeah. I had a really cool physics teacher. It must be weird imagining physics not realarive to earth for the first time though.

2 Likes

You couldn’t stand within 90 miles of a pinhead sized piece of the Suns core and be safe. That’s how intense an inferno the sun is. Yet, if the sun were positioned just a minute amount away from the Earth, we’d all freeze to death. That’s the intricate placement of all of us in the solar system.

2 Likes

“Spaced out” came to have some meaning for me at about my 61st year.
I studied “spectrum analysis” in school. I got a D+. Spectrum Analysis is where you break down the light coming from stars in order to understand what the stars are made of. (I think).

5 Likes

The 2nd law of thermodynamics in layman’s terms states that anything not maintained will deteriorate. Not only is the universe orderly, efficient and not deteriorating, but it is expanding. So…who’s maintaining it?

1 Like

Efficient and orderly at what exactly?

I was an avid amateur astronomer in my teens, had a 4’’ Newtonian reflecting telescope, but then it just faded when sz came along and my telescope had to be sold because my parents needed the money. It was a real shame. Never got really back into it, but have a little interest in it still. On occasion I like to stargaze with my binoculars. Got a book about the planets out from the library now.

1 Like

Why does it have to be a who? That seems like a silly question. Someone posted a video a bit ago with Lawrence Krauss describing how the universe holds together.

It’s a bit long. Ok so it’s really long. So be prepared.

2 Likes